Supporting This Cake Topper...help?

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 11:17pm by cfao

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 14

So this bride brought me this (well, similar) yesterday to ask if it can go on top of the cake. It's pretty hefty, not sure if it was acrylic or glass, I think it was glass.

http://image.orientaltrading.com/otcimg/47_567.jpg

It will lay sideways on top of the 6" top tier.

Any suggestions on what to use for support, that won't be seen? I was thinking dowels lined up just below the icing line that the topper would rest on. I can't think of any other idea.

Can anyone else?

13 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 14

I would glue it to a small plate (use royal icing so as not to ruin the topper) then just support with dowels as usual.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 14

I agree, just treat it as another tier of cake. You could cover a small cake board with fondant and glue it to that using the royal icing.

(I wonder how heavy it is? icon_confused.gif It's not even ON the cake in the photo...it's resting beside it!)

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 14

I did a cake with that exact cake topper (but different names, LOL). I made a stand for it with white MMF. I kind of made a small mound and pushed the topper into it and let it harden.

__Jamie__ Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I agree, just treat it as another tier of cake. You could cover a small cake board with fondant and glue it to that using the royal icing.

(I wonder how heavy it is? icon_confused.gif It's not even ON the cake in the photo...it's resting beside it!)

Lol....yeah, something tells me it wasn't intended to be a topper, but that's what it's purpose is for this time!

And thanks for the replies, I forgot to click "watch this topic for replies"...((sigh)))

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 14

What about hot glue? You could hot glue it to a rod of some sort and shove it down through the cake to hold it still. Hot glue peels right off so it shouldn't hurt it if it is glass. Hope that helps! Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 14

Oh that is indeed a topper. If it's a fondant cake, it really should just sit on top. I don't remember it being overly heavy. Isn't it acrylic?

__Jamie__ Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 14

Not going on a fondant cake, but yes, I believe left on the top of fondant it would probably be ok for a little while. It's pretty hefty! It's not the one from that link I put, it's like it, I think she ordered it locally from a trophy shop. I'm pretty sure it's glass.

__Jamie__ Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 14

But being a dumb-dumb like I am, I forgot to trace around it for dimensions and pop it on my scale. ((sigh))

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

But being a dumb-dumb like I am, I forgot to trace around it for dimensions and pop it on my scale. ((sigh))

You're not a dumb dumb, you're learning from your mistakes! icon_lol.gif You won't forget next time!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 14

I did one like that last year it was crystal heavy as could be. I put a double cardboard under it and used dowel rods. I did NOT put the topper on until I got to the venue. Hope it goes well for you just double the board you'll be ok. Check my photos if you want it's the two tier heart with ganache.

__Jamie__ Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 14

Perfect debster...thanks! Yes, it's probably the same dang topper! I was totally planning on putting it on last minute! icon_smile.gif

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:13pm
post #13 of 14

I hate that thing> I had a bride try and use that, and I just had to put a dowel behind it. It did show a little, I told her I did not think it would stay, and she said if it did not, she would just put it on the table.

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:17pm
post #14 of 14

I had the same top on a bride's cake, the weight's as much of a problem as how narrow it is to get it to stand upright on a buttercream cake. I always place a small disc under figurines, so I used the same thing for this topper. A piece of 2-way tape will keep it attached and can be removed fairly easy by the bride after the wedding. I get the white discs from Bakery Crafts, they are inexpensive and come in really handy to have a "base" for all of these figurines that are top heavy or have tiny bases on them. A picture of the cake is on my website, the 2nd cake down under the "square cakes" tab.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%