How Far In Advance Can You Decorate

Decorating By herbalAm Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm by Deb_

herbalAm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herbalAm Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 3

if this is already answered please point me in the right direction

I am makeing my mothers wedding cake. she is getting married saturday at 6:30pm. I was thinking about starting to bake the cakes thursday. She is have 3 tiers (10in, 8in, 6in...all tiers will be two layers with a layer of filling). i am covering them in fondant. nothing will have anything in them that need refridgerated. so i'm wondering how far in andvance i can cover the cakes and decorate it.

can i do it friday? (its marshmellow fondant)

and also---should i assemble it and transfer it, or should i wait to assemble it at the venue?

oooo i'm very nervous about this!

oh sorry one more thing....you think the gold decor on it will work by rolling mmf in strips and then 'glueing them on with royal icing? that was my plan, but if there is a better why i would love to know
LL

2 replies
SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 3

Ive made an mmf cake 5 days in advance cuz the ppl need to trasnport it to another city.. they kept it in their fridge and it was fine. The mmf seals the cake and keeps it nice and moist. I ice and docorate all my cakes frozen, then keep them in the fridge even if they dont need to only cuz it make me feel better they arnt in the food dange zone for too long, and because it firms up everything. Take the cake out and let it sit out for a bit before serving so the mmf soften ups.
Gluing on the mmf to mmf is easy.. i sometimes use vodka or RI.. mmf sticks to mmf once wet. hope this helps u out a bit! icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 3

I bake on Wednesday for a Saturday delivery.

Wednesday ~ Bake all layers, cool, and wrap. Leave at room temp
Thursday ~ Torte/fill and crumbcoat, all tiers, wrap, place book on top to help w/settling. Leave at room temp., unless perishable filling is used.
Friday~ Final icing/fondant and decorating.
Saturday morning ~ Delivery

Note.......I work days at my "real" job, so I'm working only at night. If I had all day to do cakes, I'd bake on Thursday morning, torte/fill and crumbcoat that evening, and final decorating on Friday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%