Help...how Would You...???

Decorating By colabear71 Updated 26 Feb 2009 , 1:23pm by colabear71

colabear71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colabear71 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:11am
post #1 of 10

I have been asked to make a german chocolate cake to feed 30 people (larger serving sized pieces). They want the typical pecan and coconut icing, but they also want to tie in bass fish along with happy birthday.

My question, I could make a fbct bass, but how is it going to taste having that regular buttercream on top of the pecans and cocout icing??? Also, I would like to make a chocolate buttercream for border work, but need a good chocolate buttercream recipe, as I have never made any before. Also, do you need to use a different type of chocolate to go with the german chocolate in the cake?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Kim

9 replies
skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:26am
post #2 of 10

I like Baker's German Sweet Chocolate when I make a German cake. Instead of doing a FBCT you could do a fondant bass fish. Maybe put an edible image on top of an outline of the fish. That way you don't have to worry about clashing with the coconut and pecans. Wilton's has a chocolate buttercream that tastes pretty good.

colabear71 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:12am
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the suggestions. However, I don't have ability to make or purchase an edible image in time, and I am pretty new to decorating and don't have any experience yet with fondant figures.

Any other ideas?? Anyone have a good chocolate buttercream recipe??

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:50am
post #4 of 10

Colabear71,

I did a German chocolate cake for a man who plays the violin at our church. His daughter requested regular coconut/pecan frosting. I used it in between layers and around the sides. On the top and for borders I used chocolate butter cream. Here is the recipe I used:

Chocolate Buttercream Icing

2 lb. powdered sugar
1 cup Crisco ( butter flavored or plain)
3/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup + 3 T. milk
2 tsp. reg. extracts (butter or vanilla or 1 of each)

They loved it. I did do some fondant details but am not very good with fondant either. The picture is in my photos. I think the FBCT would blend flavors with this just fine. OMHO

colabear71 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 5:08am
post #5 of 10

Thanks Sue. If I may ask, what kind of cocoa did you use? I am worried about the cocoa not going with the flavor of the german chocolate of the cake.

Kim

colabear71 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 10

Anyone else have any suggestions or recipes that they recommend for a chocolate buttercream that will compliment the german chocolate well??

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 10

what if you did a chocolate transfer (Similar technique to fbct) using the chocolate candy melts, it can then be placed on the cake or if you add a pop stick to it it can be inserted into the cake so that the image stands up.

colabear71 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you for your suggestions. I will have to try the candy transfer sometime. However, the customer just called and changed the order to no fish now...just yummy coconut and pecan topping with Happy birthday. I guess I am a little relieved, but now I can practice with a few other techniques.

Kim

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:40am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by colabear71

Thanks Sue. If I may ask, what kind of cocoa did you use? I am worried about the cocoa not going with the flavor of the german chocolate of the cake.

Kim

Sorry I hadn't checked back on this sooner. I used regular Hersey's cocoa.

they told me they loved it.

Sue

colabear71 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Sue. I went with the Hershey's and it tasted good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%