The Story Of My Chess Set Cake. Just For Interest.

Decorating By Brontecakes Updated 11 Apr 2009 , 2:50pm by PinkZiab

Brontecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brontecakes Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:00am
post #1 of 20

While I am in story telling mode (and just because I want to have a brag about my cake), I will share the story of my Harry Potter Chess Set.

I have been decorating cakes since I was in my late 20s but I would only do one or 2 cakes a year just for the local agricultural show - cake decorating competition - and usually it would be something that the children would enjoy and because I really love cake sculpting.

As I live in a very isolated area I have very little contact with other decorators so what I know I have taught myself..so I am just loving CC!!!!!
Apart from buying my fondant I made everything including my sugar paste icing from scratch. I have also learnt to be creative in what I use for tools etc.

In 2003 my son was given a Harry Potter Chess Set game board which I took one look at and decided I just had to make it into a cake.
After many hours of painstakingly fiddly work, rushing home for an hour lunch break to make another piece, sitting at my table into the wee small hours at night I finally got them and the base cake finished. I entered it into the local show and it won, then drove it 300 kms to Darwin (our state capital), entered it in their show, and it won and also received the most outstanding exhibit award. It was even featured on the TV news roundup of show exhibits.

One of our local news paper reporters kept saying to me that my cakes werent as good as those in the Royal Adelaide Show. So just to prove to him that my cakes WERE good enough, in 2006 I remade the chess set, more hours of fiddly painstaking work, (it took about 2 months), drove 2000 kms south to Adelaide and entered it into the Royal Adelaide Show cake decorating competition. There it came third... I was unsure of some of the rules and did a couple of things wrong which went against me but my mother is convinced that the judges thought I had used some sort of mold to make the chess pieces. silicone or otherwise (which I didnt) Anyway I was still pretty pleased with the result. Then...when I got home the reporter had left town so I couldnt rub the news into his face either!

I have only recently got the internet and been able to upload my photos to CC and to Flickr and on Flickr my chess set was nominated for the Worlds Most Amazing Cake Group competition for January..And it won.I am ecstatic, thrilled, rapt etc etc. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
That is why I am sharing this story with you all.

If you would like to see my cake check out this link

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1302350.html

If not no worries!
Thanks for reading my story and have a great day! icon_biggrin.gif

19 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:26am
post #2 of 20

Wow multiplied congratulations--fantastic workmanship.

Stunner stuff. Outstanding.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 20

I loved your chess cake the first time I saw it. Now I love it even more after reading the story behind it. You do amazing work.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 20

Wow, what amazing work! Congratulations on all of your success.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 20

I am in awe of your talent. Your figurines are perfect and the story behind the cake was very inspiring. I too am always up for a challenge as you were but your talent is quite remarkable. Congratulations on all your wins.

eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 20

That is incredble. Do you mind telling me how on earth you actually made those figures so detailed, I am starting out and have done a few classes and would love to be able to make really deatiled figures one day..have a feeling maybe I am using the wrong paste. Congratulations!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 20

Congratulations! Amazing work!! I'm in awe of your super-hero modeling skills!

Melanie Mc.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 20

It is a masterpiece. Brag away because you've earned it. Thanks so much for sharing, the talent here on CC never ceases to amaze me.

DMCG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DMCG Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 20

icon_surprised.gif Just amazing! You have every right to brag!!
You're very talented, keep up the great work!

Danielle

Brontecakes Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:07am
post #10 of 20

Thank you all so much for your comments. I may do a video showing how I made one of the pawns (yet again)......stay turned. icon_biggrin.gif

eilidh....I have sent you a PM icon_biggrin.gif

Bron

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:17am
post #11 of 20

Oh my goodness, that is absolutely Astounding!!! I too would love to see how you made such detailed pieces by hand. Stunning work, I'm completely blown away by it. icon_biggrin.gif

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:26am
post #12 of 20

wow, wow, wow,
can't think of anything else to say!!!!

msgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msgirl Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:27am
post #13 of 20

Your cake is fantastic and your story makes it even more so. Thanks for sharing. I would love to see a video.

BRITTNY31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BRITTNY31 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 9:00pm
post #14 of 20

This is almost impossible to believe! I am sooooo amazed!
I wish I could achieve one day half of what you can do!
Your art is an inspiration! Thanks for sharing

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #15 of 20

I'm speechless...that is spectacular in every way thumbs_up.gif .

ceatza05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceatza05 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:05am
post #16 of 20

Excellent work! When's the next cake coming?

miscue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miscue Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 11:30am
post #17 of 20

Unbelievable! Well done you aussie! icon_wink.gif

I can't believe you drove it all the way to the second show - it was worth it i'm sure!

Brontecakes Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 20

Thank you all for your comments. I have also included a close up of the chess pieces see link

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1302357.html

if you would like to see it. icon_smile.gif

(although I wish I could straighten up the bishops crook....it annoys me greatly) lol

Brontecakes Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:28am
post #19 of 20

I have posted the tutorial in a new thread if you are interested in knowing how I made the pieces.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:50pm
post #20 of 20

I am a complete and utter HP GEEK, and I BOW before your talent! That cake is AMAZING!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%