Help! Help! - A Tornado........

Decorating By terrylee Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 4:32am by pastryjen

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a Wizard of Oz whimsey cake. It's been fun getting all the characters and props together but I am stuck on how to do the tornado... The house is the topper and want to put the tornado behind it....? I thought of pipe cleaners - maybe to tacky?

Thanks for any suggestions.

6 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:04am
post #2 of 7

I don't know exactly how you would do this but cotton candy comes to mind! You'd have to stick it on somehow without touching anything wet/with moisture.

chef_ang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chef_ang Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:05am
post #3 of 7

Spun sugar would make a good easy tornado

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:08am
post #4 of 7

I just did a search, check out this wizard of oz cake for ideas on the tornado http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1290433

Cookie45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie45 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:14am
post #5 of 7

Somewhere on this site is a Wizard of Oz tornado cake. Sorry...don't have a link...but they tried the cotton candy idea. It melted over time.

I believe they eventually made a rice krispy treat tornado on a dowel, then covered it in fondant or icing and painted it in food color to resemble the texture of a whirling wind. I believe they even stuck on little characters as if they had been sucked into the tornado. Very cute!!

Hope this helps

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:06am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all the suggestions....I line the cotton candy idea....going to work on that...will post picture when done. Thanks again..

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:32am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylee

will post picture when done.

cool!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%