Do You Think This Idea Would Work?

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 5:29pm by all4cake

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 5

As a gift for someone I want to make a large rectangular cookie (like a 9x13 size) and before baking cut out puzzle pieces to be put together by the recipient after they are iced. I would like to cover each cookie in an edible image cut to size so that the entire "puzzle cookie" would be a photo or message when pieced together.

Any feedback/ideas/tips to make this happen?

Thanks in advance for any help to save me time and aggravation!

4 replies
volleyball47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleyball47 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 5

it sounds like a good idea to me...sorry im not more help...good luck!!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 5

I don't think it would work if you cut it out before baking. I find that lots of cookies spread a little, and your pieces may not fit together afterward.

What if you made the puzzle pieces out of aluminum, like a cutter, and baked the cookie with the pieces in the batter, so when it's baked, you have pre-cut pieces?

I've seen flat disposable cookie sheets that you could cut into strips, fold into the shapes you needed, grease them, and sit them down in the batter. Then bake. When you take the sheet out, you should be able to pull the "cutters" out of the baked cookie and have the pieces already cut to the right size.

Does that make sense?

Otherwise, you could try cutting them after baking, but that seems like it might break the cookies.....unless the baked cookie was softer rather than crisp.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 5

Oooohhhh. karateka, that's a great idea!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 5

To have the pieces fit back together, I would think that the 9x13 (or whatever size) rectangle would need to be baked as a whole then immediately cut directly after removing it from the oven. Maybe score the cookie dough into the pieces before baking to make cutting afterward easier.

While the pieces are still together but cut completely, ice it then lay ei on top.

Or, if necessary, after cutting pieces put the cookie puzzle back together making sure the pieces fit without stress on the pieces then ice and place ie. After entire piece has set up(depending on icing used (if using royal, I wouldn't allow it to completely harden before next step), carefully turn entire piece over and following lines of each piece and a SHARP knife, and cut through to the top(which is now on bottom)

or, if you have it, use the photoshop program to make a puzzle template as well as a puzzle of the message or photo....then, ice each piece and match it with its' coinciding image piece and apply individually.

I've not done either but if I ever do, that would be how I would attempt it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%