Bakery Jobs

Decorating By Rendee Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 4:20pm by Rendee

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:29am
post #1 of 5

I was just wanting to pose this question to eveyone and get some feedback on it. I worked in a bakery for a very short amount of time and it was a bad experience. I am a culinary student and love to decorate cakes.
Where would some of you suggest that I get a job that would teach me decorating skills and be patient with me while I worked on my speed and skill. Any advise would be helpful!! icon_lol.gif

4 replies
rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:41am
post #2 of 5

I had a friend who worked at a Kroger bakery and loved it...always decorating and not fast paced...

Good luck to you...

Robin

VSP2205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VSP2205 Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:48am
post #3 of 5

I'm a fellow culinary student, I wanted to get into cakes more after college and after I had my son I started working part-time at a local cake shop/bakery as counter help on saturdays. I talked to the owner about what my goals were and she was very open in letting me make a cake or cupcakes to put in the case for customers to purchase. Not long after working there I was her go to girl when she needed help filling the case, delivering wedding cakes, base frosting cakes for decorating and even fulfilling orders for customers.

My advise would be to do as much decorating and practicing at home as possible, I found that my neighbors love free cake and they don't mind giving me input on cake designs either. Teach yourself new techniques, and as far as working at a bakery maybe you just need to find a different one with a better enviroment.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 3:54am
post #4 of 5

bakerys are just like most employers. some are ok to work for, some are horrible, and then you can find some that are a great find. I do the store bakery thing. I personally do not like at this point. I feel it limits my creativity. However, you do learn a lot and is a great place to gain skills! Keep decorating enjoy what you do and you will find your place.

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all the responses! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%