Red Velvet Cupcakes..

Baking By Bluehue Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 2:54am by prterrell

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 2:49am
post #1 of 2

The Red Velvet Cake isn't something that we see or hear about over in Australia and to be honest, i am quiet fasinated by the whole concept and amazed at the brillance of its colour.
I have only ever known of one lady over here who has ever made it.

So this got me thinking -
Is this cake made into Cupcakes - and if so are there any hard and fast rules that i should apply -

ie:
how full should i fill the cupcake cases?
Is it a mix that rises?
Is it a cake that texture wise stays moist for a few days?
Once made can it/they be frozen?
Is it more like a sponge or mudcake texture?
and
Do you Tort and ganache this type of cake?
Can i use Red Powder Colouring or is Liquid always used?

As you can see i know very little about it, but very curious and eager to learn.
So any helpful imfo would be wonderful.

Ooohhhh, and is this cake made for any special occassion - like one would make fruit cake as a Christmas Cake.

Thankyou in advance
Bh icon_smile.gif

1 reply
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:54am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

The Red Velvet Cake isn't something that we see or hear about over in Australia and to be honest, i am quiet fasinated by the whole concept and amazed at the brillance of its colour.
I have only ever known of one lady over here who has ever made it.

So this got me thinking -
Is this cake made into Cupcakes - and if so are there any hard and fast rules that i should apply -

Yes, you can make RV cupcakes - not really any different than making a layer cake or sheet cake. Same recipe can be used. My recipe is below. It makes a 3 layer 8 or 9 inch round cake or one 9x13 sheet cake or approx 24 -30 standard size cupcakes

Quote:

ie:
how full should i fill the cupcake cases?

Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.

Quote:

Is it a mix that rises?

Yes.

Quote:

Is it a cake that texture wise stays moist for a few days?

Yes.

Quote:

Once made can it/they be frozen?

Yes.

Quote:

Is it more like a sponge or mudcake texture?

Inbetween? (not sure what you mean by mudcake)

Quote:

and
Do you Tort and ganache this type of cake?

Can be torted. My recipe makes three 9" round layers, so I do not torte the individual layers. I use cream cheese icing, white chocolate IM buttercream, or white chocolate cream cheese icing with this cake for the filling and the icing on the outside. Chopped toasted pecans or flake coconut are nice garnishes (if using, I just put on the sides of the cake once it is iced). Ganache would overpower the flavor of the cake itself.

Quote:

Can i use Red Powder Colouring or is Liquid always used?

I have not tried using powdered coloring. I use on entire container of the Wilton no-taste red. It is the only time I use Wilton color. I use Americolor brand for coloring all my decorating.

Quote:

As you can see i know very little about it, but very curious and eager to learn.
So any helpful imfo would be wonderful.

The buttermilk in this cake is the main ingredient that affects the taste. The vinegar and cocoa powder also have a subtle flavor, but it is a background note. The tiny bit of cocoa powder reacts with the vinegar to give a slightly reddish tint. At some point, people started adding the red food color to intensify this and now everyone is used to that bright red hue, although really, the cake can be colored most any color (I have made it burgundy, dark blue, and dark green before).

Quote:

Ooohhhh, and is this cake made for any special occassion - like one would make fruit cake as a Christmas Cake.

Not so much. I think this cake generally started out as a "dessert" type cake (back when people had dessert after dinner every day or at least with Sunday dinner every week). Now it is just a very popular cake (at least in the Southern US, although the popularity is spreading throughout the nation) for any celebration.

Quote:

Thankyou in advance
Bh icon_smile.gif

You're welcome!

icon_biggrin.gif

Here's my recipe:

Note: this is a recipe that I developed; please credit me when sharing with others! Thanks, Promise Whitley

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter (1/2 pound), room temp
½ cup Crisco (vegetable shortening)
1 and ½ cups granulated white sugar
3 large eggs, room temp
1 cup sour cream, room temp (I use Daisy brand)
1 and ½ cups buttermilk, room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ounce red gel paste food color (I use one container Wilton's No Taste Red)
2 and ½ cups cake flour (I use Swans Down)
¼ cup cocoa powder (I use Hersheys) -- do not used Dutch Processed!!!
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Preheat oven to 325

Cream butter and shortening, then add sugar and beat until light and fluffy
Beat in eggs, one at a time
Beat in sour cream and buttermilk
Over wax paper, sift together flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa
Add flour mixture slowly to the wet ingredient and beat to combine
Add vinegar, vanilla, and food color and beat the batter on high for 3 minutes, scraping bowl half-way through to ensure color is evenly distributed.
For an 8 or 9 inch round cake, divide between 3 prepared pans (I use Pam with Flour)
Bake at 325 for 30 minutes, check for doneness with toothpick, bake longer as needed
Cool for 10 minutes in pans then turn out on wire racks and cool completely before frosting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%