My Gum Paste Is Like Pie Dough!

Decorating By pastryjen Updated 22 Feb 2009 , 8:10pm by pastryjen

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 6

So I made a ton of gum paste - including red and black - yesterday. I went to start a figure and it's just like pie dough. It has no elasticity.

I used the Wilton Gum Tex and followed the recipe on the can. Any ideas of what went wrong? The gum tex is 4 yrs old.

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 6

I'm betting that your gum tex is kaput. It loses it's strength over time.

I know a professional company who had the same problem. They bought it in bulk and found that after a year, it was losing strength. They called the supplier and were told to buy smaller quantities more often to avoid the issue.

You may be able to rescue it if you have any tylose or cmc or gum trag (fresh). It's probably worth a try.

HTH
Rae

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:18am
post #3 of 6

Hi Rae,

Do you happen to know if the same thing happens with tylose?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:24am
post #4 of 6

No, I don't know for sure.

I can tell you that I've had some tylose for several years--I'm thinking 3--and I still use it without problems. I've made gum glue with it and I dab my fondant in it when I make figures. Things seem to work fine.

Rae

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 6:37am
post #5 of 6

I was going to order some on-line and was just wondering what the shelf life was on tylose so I really appreciate you answering so quickly! icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 22 Feb 2009 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much...I had made red and black so I didn't really want to throw it out and start again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%