Does Anyone Draw Their Cakes Before Making Them?

Decorating By sweettreats36 Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm by Jayde

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:33pm
post #31 of 39

I too have a sketchbook filled with ideas, color combos, pattern combos, etc. I have a fairly large colored pencil set, and I put it to good use.

I also include a rough sketch for any order that I take, this is where my love for Doug comes into play, with every contract. I have the regular old order form with sizes, amounts, flavors, etc. and then I attach a picture that shows the correct amount/shapes of tiers to it. Like this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=88028

You can find these in Doug's photo gallery, hes got a billion in there in all shapes and sizes! I print them out, and doodle a little flower here, a red ribbon there, and a monogram topper on top. It brings the vision to life, and then your customer can tell you, "yes, that what I want" or "no, I was thinking of something more like this"

You want to know something else I do?? Just because I am anal, I tend to type out the steps, if it is the first time I am doing a particular cake. I have lists of what to do each day, along with recipes, tips, and little notes to myself. I save them all on the computer, but I print myself a copy and put it in the contract folder with the orderer's name and date due on it. That way everything is there, and there is very little chance that I screw up a flavor or a size.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:44pm
post #32 of 39

OHhhhhhhhh Yes...
If I don'tsketch, then I end up staring at a blank fondant covered cake for hours, wondering what to put on it. LOL

My first youtube video actually shows all my sketches....I'm working on the 2nd video right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssv6ALiFwuw&feature=channel_page

as you can see, they usually come out very similar to the sketches.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 11:58pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

I too have a sketchbook filled with ideas, color combos, pattern combos, etc. I have a fairly large colored pencil set, and I put it to good use.

I also include a rough sketch for any order that I take, this is where my love for Doug comes into play, with every contract. I have the regular old order form with sizes, amounts, flavors, etc. and then I attach a picture that shows the correct amount/shapes of tiers to it. Like this:

You can find these in Doug's photo gallery, hes got a billion in there in all shapes and sizes! I print them out, and doodle a little flower here, a red ribbon there, and a monogram topper on top. It brings the vision to life, and then your customer can tell you, "yes, that what I want" or "no, I was thinking of something more like this"

You want to know something else I do?? Just because I am anal, I tend to type out the steps, if it is the first time I am doing a particular cake. I have lists of what to do each day, along with recipes, tips, and little notes to myself. I save them all on the computer, but I print myself a copy and put it in the contract folder with the orderer's name and date due on it. That way everything is there, and there is very little chance that I screw up a flavor or a size.

Nice to know I am not the only one!! I have thought of things and drawn it in to the microfiber of the couch with my finger and begged my kids to bring me a pencil and paper...not out off laziness... I don't want them to screw it up!! lol
I swear someone is going to write a book on the serious issues of cake decorators. lol

jhutch04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhutch04 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:11am
post #34 of 39

I always always always sketch my cakes before I make them. Unless of course it is a very simple sheet cake then I just wing it. I always have ideas for cakes in my head and I know that I have to hurry up and sketch them or I will forget them. I find it easiest to sketch them because then I get a real idea of what it will look like, what I think will work, etc. Plus it's much easier to erase a part of the sketch than to try and change something on the actual cake. icon_smile.gif

ButtercreamBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercreamBakery Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 12:22am
post #35 of 39

Yes, I always draw out my vision first, in detail from flowers, flavors, Icinn type, the cake board I will need, even down to the colors. I find it helpful because once I start my cake it can be a bit overwhelming or I sometimes start one day and finish on another and this way I don't forget anything if I have the picture in front of me. I find it helps me get organized too as far as what supplies I will need to finish my cake.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:26am
post #36 of 39

Yep! I always make a sketch. Here is one for a cake I'm doing next week. I need to have a visual reference whenever I'm making a new cake. That, and I like to have something to show people. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 1:45pm
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

Jayde, I do the same thing. Since I work 9-5 and do my cakes mostly in the evenings, I write out all the steps I need to take each day before the cake is due. It keeps me organized. Between making dinner, kids school homework or projects and general household mahan, I'm always right on schedule. That's not anal is it?

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:15pm
post #38 of 39

Jayde,
thank you so much for mentioning Doug's sketches. For the past 1/2 hour I've been printing them out. (i'm going to get fired for this)

This is going to make my life sooooooooooooooooo much easier. Ohhhh, the possibilities. icon_smile.gif

Doug, if you're reading this, you are awsome!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #39 of 39

Isnt he??? Awesome I mean...

I found them by accident one day, and even though I am good with a computer I am not THAT good with a computer. Its a great template to start with and even though I am not an excellent artist, I can sketch what quickly looks like a flower, monogram, etc. with the correct color. It helps immensely, when trying to steer my clients from a potentionally hazardous cake design.

Which has happened to me more times that I can count. Its crazy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%