Private Decorating Lessons & Children's Decorating Parti

Business By MikeRowesHunny Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 12:45pm by Kate714

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 13

Do any of you offer these? My business this year is really bad, so I was thinking of offering these options to people. I have had enquiries in the past about lessons, but have always turned people away.

I'm not set up to give lessons here (nor would I want to), so I was thinking of giving lessons to individuals/groups in their own homes/organisation buildings. I have no idea what to offer as to subjects, or what to charge. What do you all do, charge and what do you provide?

Then I was thinking about doing kids parties, you know going to their homes & decorating cupcakes/cookies. Again, what would I charge and what would I provide?

Thanks for any help, I need more ways to make money here!!!

12 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 13

This is something similar that I did. I sold a holiday cupcake workshop to a country club during the 4th of July weekend and it was a nice piece of chump change for me when I really needed it.

The country club was doing a big weekend party and they had a kids activity room. I bought plain cupcakes in bulk from the grocery store and then put together a kit of red, white, and blue cupcake decorations. Each child got to decorate 5 cupcakes (1 to eat there and 4 to take home in a box).

I charged based on what the going rate for cupcakes was (for 25 people), plus added my travel expenses and the price i paid for an assistant. That total of that was how I arrived at my rate.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 13

I know what is really catching on here is all inclusive Birthday Cake Decorating Parties...you supply the cakes,icing,decorations for the cakes etc and you charge so much per child and you come to the birthday child's home or venue and put on a party...Figure out what it will cost you to do it..Many birthday theme companies are starting to do this...I'm not sure what the prices are though..I think someone here in a past post said they charge $15.00 a child and whatever else they supply.Could be a good moneymaker when times are slow!!

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

This is something similar that I did. I sold a holiday cupcake workshop to a country club during the 4th of July weekend and it was a nice piece of chump change for me when I really needed it.

The country club was doing a big weekend party and they had a kids activity room. I bought plain cupcakes in bulk from the grocery store and then put together a kit of red, white, and blue cupcake decorations. Each child got to decorate 5 cupcakes (1 to eat there and 4 to take home in a box).

I charged based on what the going rate for cupcakes was (for 25 people), plus added my travel expenses and the price i paid for an assistant. That total of that was how I arrived at my rate.

This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing...

CakeForte Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 13

I forgot to add that they threw in a two night hotel stay for me since it was a two day event. That was a really nice bonus!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 13

Great ideas, keep em coming! What should I set the age limit at for kids 5+? Although I used to keep my youngest & friends busy decorating at 3/4, they made so much mess it was unreal, still it won't be my house right lol?!

CakeForte Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 13

I think any age is good as long as there is parent supervision or that of an assistant. The country club also hired nannies so they went around with the kids. Some of the ones were just one year old. They really just ate one cupcake though and didn't take a whole box home like the other kids.
I can send you some photos if you PM me your email address, so you can see how it was set up. Itwas not fancy at all and the mess wasn't too too bad. lol

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 13

I've seen posts about this before, and think it's a really neat idea. I haven't heard of anything like this in my area.

For the icing provided: would you put some in containers for the kids to ice their cupcakes/cake and then have additional icings in deco bags for the kids to use different tips? If so, would you teach the kids how to use the bags/tips? Just curious. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 13

I'm thinking about doing this too. I was thinking about a minimum age to set...my daughter is five, and although I'd do it with her, I think kids who are maybe 7 or 8 can use the bags/tips much easier...??

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:32am
post #10 of 13

Sounds like a good plan you have here, make sure you get everything in writing from the club/hotel. Good luck!

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 3:51am
post #11 of 13

I have been thinking about the same thing in my area. Thinking maybe premade cuppies and icing. Also the paper goods? Different levels for different age groups? Glad you started this thread. We all need a boost.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:12am
post #12 of 13

I offer both these. You can look at my site to see my pricing structure.

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:45pm
post #13 of 13

cakesdevine, what is your site??

thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%