Ribbon For Cakes

Business By mbdecorator Updated 20 Feb 2009 , 3:52am by cfao

mbdecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbdecorator Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 15

What kind of ribbon do I use on buttercream frosting. The bride wants black but I'm afraid the grease will come through. Please help

14 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 15

you could do a fondant ribbon. Or I know some people attach some wax paper to the backside of the ribbon (I tried once and it wasnt that easy) or I have read where some people actually pre grease the ribbon with like a cooking spray I guess. That way it is at least evenly greased ! I havent tried it.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 15

Line the back of the ribbon with contact paper, that way it sticks nice and flat on the sticky side of the paper, of course, then trim the excess away. Your ribbon will be perfectly flat and smooth, and will peel right off when it's time to serve.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 15

thanks Jamie85364! I'll try that. At work they have us coat our fingers with shortening and run the ribbon thru pinched fingers. They swear that make it adhere better and prevents grease bleed thru.

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 15

I use ribbon a lot on my cakes and haven't had a problem with them getting greasy. When you take it off it is greasy, but it hasn't looked that way just looking at the cake.

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 15

I also pre-grease mine using shortening. I've noticed that sometimes it makes the color of the ribbon a little darker, but it does prevent the spotty look when it touches the buttercream.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 15

I use fondant ribbon.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 15

I iron wax paper to the back of my ribbon. I actually just got a hair straightening iron today to help with the process. Works great-- no bleed through, no grease on the ribbon, and easy.

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 2:09am
post #9 of 15

If you can find a good silk ribbon, it does not bleed through.

jlynnw Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:44am
post #10 of 15

jillmakescakes - good idea. I bet we could try that at work. They like cheap and easy.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 15

thanks for posting this question, I was just wondering the same thing.

How do you all attach the ribbon in the back?

jlynnw Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 15

tried the flat iron and wax paper - it was GREAT. It also worked to make ribbon curls. Did and 8 inch cake ribbon bottom border, ribbon loop bow with the curls comming off of it. I did the cake so fast and it looked great. It sold as soon as I put it out! My manager gave my kudos for the first time! jillmakescakes - thank you! He is a hard man to please. I so want to work with pretty cakes but this gets the bills paid!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

thanks for posting this question, I was just wondering the same thing.

How do you all attach the ribbon in the back?

I try to get the length exactly right so it meets up end to end. If not, a sliver of double stick tape will hold them together. I know some people overlap, and slice them so that they are exactly meeting end to end, but I've never tried it. I think it's like doing wallpaper.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:04am
post #14 of 15

Good to know. Thanks.

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 3:52am
post #15 of 15

Any of the sheer type ribbon will stay true to color and not get darker. Florist type ribbon - I know Bakery Crafts sells a few of the different colors, black is one of them, that are greaseproof and looks like a satin ribbon on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%