Best Clay Extruder?

Decorating By sadsmile Updated 25 Feb 2009 , 2:08am by bizatchgirl

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 17

For thin line rope border or hair what do you use?
Metal, plastic, expensive or cheep?

16 replies
BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 17

I use a cheap plastic one I purchased at a craft store. It's ok for occassional use but I wish I had one that was more like a hand pump gun style. icon_razz.gif The one I have now is like a cylendar where you put a small round rod of fondant (or whatever) in and then you put a another piece in the press and you have to push the piece down with your thumb (kind of reminds me of a syringe from the doctors office). icon_surprised.gif I did see one that looks like a calking gun used on construction sites but this was made for candy clay/fondant/gumpaste. I wish I could find that one..... icon_smile.gif

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ

I use a cheap plastic one I purchased at a craft store. It's ok for occassional use but I wish I had one that was more like a hand pump gun style. icon_razz.gif The one I have now is like a cylendar where you put a small round rod of fondant (or whatever) in and then you put a another piece in the press and you have to push the piece down with your thumb (kind of reminds me of a syringe from the doctors office). icon_surprised.gif I did see one that looks like a calking gun used on construction sites but this was made for candy clay/fondant/gumpaste. I wish I could find that one..... icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the heads up...wanted to purchase one but was unsure what I should get...

CareyI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareyI Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 17

I have a metal one from Micheals that you also push like a syringe...It gets hard to push sometimes and my hand cramps plus I can't get a very long piece out at a time. I would love to find a better one. icon_wink.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 17

I use the Makin's metal one. It's not expensive, around $25 but so much easier than the push model.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 17

I have the makins clay metal one also and I have the plastic green one that you push like a syringe - I like the metal one much much better, but you still can't do a really long rope.

When I grow up I want a really good one too...haha!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:18am
post #7 of 17

Here's the one I have and alot of others here do too: http://www.theclaystore.com/pages-productinfo-category-97-product-745/makins-professional-ultimate-clay-extruder.html

(Make sure you load the fondant from the bottom, if you do get this model, it's much more effective that way)

I used it to make the face mask, trim around the helmet, and make the lines & numbers on the cakeboard in my avatar photo.

2chae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2chae Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 12:25am
post #8 of 17

I have a makins clay metal one too. I love it!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:44am
post #9 of 17

And the Makins' have it... THANK YOU all soo much!!!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 3:52am
post #10 of 17

I have the Makins' Metal one too! icon_smile.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:04am
post #11 of 17

Definitely the Makin's one. The little metal syringe looking one is a PITA to push on, lots of elbow grease needed. Plus, the barrel is not very long so you are constantly reloading.

Michael's no longer sells the Makin's one but you can get it at Hobby Lobby with 40% off and it is well worth it. I think it even has an extra pack of discs you can buy if you need more shapes. So far it has had everything I could want.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 17

they have a Makin's model that you twist the syringe instead of pushing with thumb and forefinger. Not sure it is any less of a PITA but I like it.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 17

i love the one i just purchased from sugarshack's website.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 17

I prefer the Makins metal one. I actually "blew out" the disc with the multiple little holes on the cheap syringe-type extruder - the one used for hair. It just couldn't take the pressure icon_lol.gif

bizatchgirl Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 4:21pm
post #15 of 17

Wow. I can't imagine getting enough pressure on one of these things to blow the disk out. You must have some big guns (biceps).

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #16 of 17

I used the green makins one a lot until I busted it, LOL...I actually split the metal threading that you screw the end piece on to. I'll probably just buy another one or try out the sugarcraft gun. I've heard a few people who have both types and still say that they like the makins one better.

bizatchgirl Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 2:08am
post #17 of 17

You ladies are hilarious. I would never have thought you could find a way to break metal tools.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%