Fondant / Gum Paste Bow

Decorating By jcasbill Updated 18 Feb 2009 , 7:17pm by doodledo

jcasbill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcasbill Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a baby shower cake in a few weeks for a friend of mine and would like to put a big bow on the top. I have been decorating cakes for many years but have only used buttercream to decorate. It's hard to find the time to learn something new. I found instructions on how to make a fondant bow but have some questions. I've read that some make the bow out of fondant, some out of gum paste, some a combination of both. I've never used either. Can anyone help me figure out what to do? Is it better to make the fondant or buy it? What about the gum paste? Can you share a recipe? The cake will be decorated in buttercream...will the bow be ok on top or will it wilt?
Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

2 replies
JulesM7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulesM7 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 3

I would just buy Wilton fondant or gumpaste - it doesn't taste the greatest, but no one is really going to eat the bow.
I used a 50/50 combo of fondant and gumpaste to do the bows on my 2 package cakes and they were okay. If you are in a humid area, the gumpaste helps. You can do 100% gumpaste and the loops will get super hard.

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 3

I made my first bow from fondant a few months ago. It was ok. I was disappointed in it. I left it dry for 2 days on dowel rods. They did lose their shape some. But theyreally never dried hard enough to keep their shape perfect. Next time I will do 50/50.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%