Has Anyone Ever Tried To Bake A Cake In Their Toaster Oven?

Decorating By Baking_Booth Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm by Franluvsfrosting

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 11

Is this a good or bad idea? I need to bake a round cake but my oven is broken. Do you think it would work if I put a couple of flower nails in the center?

TIA!!!

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 11

I would bake me a cake in there but not one to sell to someone. It might bake a little wonky due to the temperature cycling differently and the heat distribution might not saturate well. It might be ok.

I mean the heating element might toast it too.

Baking_Booth Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 11

On my toaster oven you can use a toast setting or different temperature settings up to 450 degrees. Do you think that would make a difference?

-K8memphis Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking_Booth

On my toaster oven you can use a toast setting or different temperature settings up to 450 degrees. Do you think that would make a difference?

Yes. Don't toast your cake.

Baking_Booth Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:01am
post #5 of 11

Sorry k8memphis, I should have worded that differently, it made me sound like a dingbat. lol. I mean, do you think it would work if I set is at the temperature the recipe calls for? Do you think it'll toast the cake if it's set on a degree setting?

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:06am
post #6 of 11

Oh my soul I'm laughing so hard I'm snorting.

I mean it all depends on your parrticular oven--do it and we'll both know type of thing.

I mean it depends on how close the bottom heating element is to the bottom of the pan and how well the heat circulates.

Honest you won't be able to tell till you try it. I mean I for sure wouldn't try an angel food or anything tempermental like that.

Just be prepared to maybe slice off the bottom if it gets too dark.

icon_biggrin.gif

Baking_Booth Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:11am
post #7 of 11

Thanks!
I'll let you know if I get brave enough! lol. Maybe I'll just run to Sam's Club. icon_lol.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 12:49am
post #8 of 11

I've baked 4" rounds, mini cupcakes and wilton singles pan in my toaster over.

It was okay.

They were just for the family so I didn't really pay attention to how well they came out.

Baking_Booth Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 11

I just baked two of my 8" rounds I need and they came out great! I put two flower nails in the center and baked them one at a time and I am very pleased with how they came out!!!

Thanks!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:20pm
post #10 of 11

My uncle, who bakes all the time, only uses his toaster oven.
Since he moved into his house he's never even used his stoves' oven. He does pies, cakes, muffins an such in there.

Glad it worked out for ya!! thumbs_up.gif

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 11

My mom is a snowbird and lives in a 5th wheel. She has a gas oven but prefers to use her toaster oven for baking. She uses it for everything and likes how stuff turns out so apparently it isn't a problem. Mines a convection toaster oven so the fan circulates the heat around and keeps stuff from burning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%