Cutouts Around Cake ???

Decorating By GayeG Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 2:47pm by GayeG

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 4

Good Mornin' All,
I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to cakes - but I do try! - I do mostly cookies .. I have worked with Fondant and BC with no problems ... so enuff of the History lesson ...

My problem is .. I have a cake to do this week-end, and Im not sure how to do what I want it to do .. buttercream w/2 layers of fondant. I want to do some cutouts around the side - on just the top layer of the Fondant. I have tried it several times with a dummy and I cant seem to keep it from cutting the bottom layer of fondant. I tried with just one layer, and it always "marks" the buttercream. Ive tried cutting them out off the cake but it distorts when I put it on ... Hope Im making sense!!

I could sure use your help!! If you can please! And TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 4

First I was going to say cut out the fondant before laying over the first layer ... but I suppose it would distort it.

To get a similar effect, maybe you could make cutouts out of the bottom color and stick them over the second layer of fondant.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 4

Well, the way you do it is what you described, but it's very tricky to only cut off the top layer. I frankly wouldn't consider this a technique for a beginner. Even though I understand how it's done, I'm not sure I personally would attempt it for a customer's order.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 4

Linda - I think that might be my only option - I didnt want to do that but when all else fails ...

Leahs - She's not really a "customer" Just my Daughter, but for a large party - but I did want to try something new - to learn and better myself - and I AM the adventurous kind icon_wink.gif So If I have the right idea (cutting it out ON the cake?) then I will keep on till I get it presentable - and then keep practicing!

Thanks Ya'll!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%