Royal Icing Problem

Baking By ruthi Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm by Twopeasinapod

ruthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 7

I need advice - I just did a huge order of cookies and covered them in Antonia's RI - great stuff - and the color of the icing was a deep maroon...they looked great for the first 10-15 hours - I had them sitting over night to dry. Now, however, they are starting to get splotchy around the edges moving inwards, drying a darker color than the rest of the cookie. WHY? I am desparate. I can't afford, money or timewise, to start over as the cookies are already due...I'm trying to camoflauge the spotting. I made the icing and let it sit to get rid of air bubbles, and stirred it again before using. I colored the icing with Americolor gel paste colors. How do I prevent this - I am rather tramatized to say the least....I hope I can salvage the cookies so that the customer doesn't complain, but in the meantime, I think I am getting an ulcer! I haven't seen this before, but then I usually give my cookies out within a day of making them for whatever event it is for, and the cookies get used right away. As I said, the discoloration set in after a day.

6 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 7

Ruthi: I know this subject has come up a few times, you might do a search, I don't know that anyone ever came up with a clear-cut answer. I know the blotch problem with TG can be fixed by using white in the entire batch, but I don't think it needs it in RI. Good Luck. If nothing else, I gave you a bump!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 7

Ruthi: I know this subject has come up a few times, you might do a search, I don't know that anyone ever came up with a clear-cut answer. I know the blotch problem with TG can be fixed by using white in the entire batch, but I don't think it needs it in RI. Good Luck. If nothing else, I gave you a bump!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 7

I think the icing is just changing color as it dries and it should be all the same color when it is fully dry. Is it getting any better?

ruthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthi Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 7

It has improved somewhat - i.e. it isn't the disaster I freaked out about. Still, there was some splotching....hard call for me to make. Leave the icing to sit so it won't have those awful air bubbles (which bother me...I know, OCD) and risk too much splotchiness or stir it up like crazy before putting into the bottle to use and get the air bubbles. Considering that they have improved since yesterday, maybe by tomorrow it won't be noticeable. I did a lot of decorating on top, so I hope that camoflauges it sufficiently....

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:17pm
post #6 of 7

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there. RI can be v. tricksy to work with - I've had my fair share of RI trauma so I know exactly what you mean about that ulcer! I just always try to remember that nobody else notices what we notice. Those dark colours are a nightmare though - I dread using them.

Regarding letting it sit to bring up the bubbles - I don't think you need to let it sit for more than 10 minutes. I leave it for a very little while then use the back of a spoon to burst the bubbles, another quick stir and you're away.

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm
post #7 of 7

Ruthie, I had this happen to me last night and was wondering if you outlined the cookies and then flooded with a thinner version. I was wondering if thinning the RI made it enought different that for awhile it didn't dry as fast. This morning they look better but all the RI is dryer. What did the final outcome look like on your cookies?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%