Ideas And/or Suggestions

Decorating By AFBarbie Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm by AFBarbie

AFBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AFBarbie Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 21

I'm making a cake for my Mom's Breast Cancer Support/Survivor's group on the 24th. I have the ribbon pan and will cover it in pink and add the nickname of their group "Chicks Alive". I was thinking about adding a spray of yellow roses in the loop hole........in rememberance of those who didn't survive (they lost a few members this past year). Do you think this would be okay? I don't want to have them crying or anything, but they are a close knit group and I really want to figure out a way to remember those they loved and are no longer here.

Any suggestions, comments and/or ideas are welcome.

20 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 21

AFBarbie, I think the yellow roses would be wonderful. They may cry, but I am a big fan of tears. They are just one part of the healing process and a way to remember/acknowledge those we have lost.

How wonderful of you to do this and I am so happy that your Mom is in the Survivor's group!

Martha

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 21

Hi there, I think its a very good idea. You should remember those who past away and the flowers look nice on the cake at the same time. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 21

Not only would it be gorgeous, but it's very thoughtful, and a way for those lost to be there, I'd do it, they'll cry, but then they may cry anyway without the yellow flowers.

TejasRebel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TejasRebel Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 21

I agree -- I think the roses would be a wonderful touch.

mbt4955 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 21

"Long known as the herb of remembrance, rosemary symbolizes loyalty and friendship, and has traditionally been associated with both weddings and funerals."

I'm totally in favor of the yellow roses and I can't imagine make sugar rosemary, but this thought came to mind so I thought I would share it.

cor39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cor39 Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 21

That would be such a thoughtful gesture. Those who have lost the battle should be remembered - it is the perfect touch.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 21

I think the roses will be a beautiful touch to honor the memories of those friends who were lost. I'm sure your mom and her friends will love the gesture. Yes, they will probably cry, but crying is good for the soul. icon_smile.gif

My MIL is a seven year breast cancer survivor, and the women in her support group are like her second family.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 21

What a wonderful idea...my grandmother is a breast cancer survivor...

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:10pm
post #10 of 21

OOOOO the yellow roses are a perfect idea! I think they would love it! Remember to post pictures so we can all see.........

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 5:49pm
post #11 of 21

Yellow rose spray sounds wonderful my mother is a breast ca survivor also. God Bless You icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 10:42pm
post #13 of 21

i almost cried just reading this post-my mom lost her battle with breast cancer just over 2 years ago and i think it's important to remember-the yellow flowers will be the perfect touch i think(pink would be an obvious though lovely choice too)

AFBarbie Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 21

Thank you for all your comments. Here I'm talking about not making those ladies cry and I'm sitting here crying over your comments.

Yes, I will post pics as soon as I finish the cake.

bobwonderbuns....thank you for the link. My idea is similar.......I want to put the nickname of their group on the ribbon itself. They call themselves "Chicks Alive".

AFBarbie Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:20pm
post #15 of 21

Okay I finished the cake. I did a spray of yellow roses in the loop of the ribbon and then did pink roses with leaves to represent those that are still fighting their fight. The roses are all gum paste, the cake is covered in fondant and the leaves are royal icing.

The nickname of their support group is Chicks Alive.....done in fondant and highlighted with pink piping gel.

I also found this really cool fabric at a local store that shows support for Breast Cancer. I covered the cake board in it.
LL

mbt4955 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 21

You did a great job on this cake and I know that it meant a lot to the group. thumbs_up.gif

AFBarbie Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #17 of 21

Thank you. The group hasn't seen it yet, only my Mom (we live together so I can take care of her). I'll let you all know what they say....the meeting is Tuesday evening.

mbt4955 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 9:58pm
post #18 of 21

I'm really glad you decided to use the pink roses on the cake and the yellow memorial roses as an accent. Finding a way to both celebrate the living and remember those we have lost on one cake takes a lot of thought and I know that both will be appreciated greatly.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:14pm
post #19 of 21

Barbie that is one gorgeous cake!! thumbs_up.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm
post #20 of 21

What a wonderful job! It's perfect!

AFBarbie Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm
post #21 of 21

Thank you all very much. I'm nervous about taking the cake to them though. I will let you all know what they said.

Thank you for all the support you all have given me. Being a newbie and made to feel part of this family is just wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%