~~Miley Cyrus Challenge~~

Decorating By cakeladyatLA Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 2:29am by conchita

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:10am
post #61 of 106

Did Courtney mention during her "face the judges" time that she firmly believes she didn't damage the cake?

I just remember her saying, "I didn't think I had caused the damage" but if I'm being falsely accused of something and I know for 100% positivity that I did nothing wrong I'd "go off" on someone national tv or not because I know my reputation is on the line.

If she did defend herself was it edited out?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:29am
post #62 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

Let us be fair. Last time I checked there are two sides to every story. The sound bite of Kerry has her saying "I learned the cake had been damaged" and last time I checked, that is not accusing. Also, It is never a good idea to move any cake that is not your own cake. I would consider it un.... professional.

The problem is that Courtney learned of this at the judging, facing the judges.

I'm not ragging on Kerry per se but the producers and whosoever did handle that issue screwed up and screwed Courtney publicly--making it look like she was unsportsmanlike.

Of course there's several sides to every story. None of them should have reflected such a piss poor defaming light onto a professional. This reflects/damages on her image as a business woman and that is just way way way wrong.

Hey if Kerry had said, "I learned the cake had been damaged" to each and every contestant during the judging then we could consider that as significant. However the producers aimed it at Courtney. Ain't no doubt about it.

And y'know what--Courtney's got enough 'unprofessional nesses' to have to deal with. I sincerely think your pointed out one more was uncalled for.

If we need to go there, Kerry should be protesting to the FN uppers too for unsportsmanlike editing that defamed a great decorator.

No one could possibly feel that that was the correct way to handle that issue, not Kerry, not her best friend.

I've said all along Courtney shoulda mentioned it to someone to cya but it was in the heat of the battle and I understand and so do you how she neglected to do that.

However if she deliberately or negligently did something ugly that would nevertheless always be the wrong way to handle it.

I've seen things handled better by junior high cliques. And you know that's true.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #63 of 106

Yes there are two sides of every story, I agree. But according to what Courtney said and others, they share a refrigerator so at some point, someone's cake will be in the way of someone elses. She also pointed out that the cake in hand was her own. Im not saying your wrong or trying to start an arguement by no means but I really feel like she is a victum here.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #64 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

She shoulda spoke up but that was cruel I think. I think they were ginning up some drama at her expense. Did you see her little upset face during the award thing?

It's all about drama....Buddy made that clear on the other thread. I guess I can't blame the FN...good tv has to be a little controversial!

Which thread is this? Do you remember the title?

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:46am
post #65 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Yes there are two sides of every story, I agree. But according to what Courtney said and others, they share a refrigerator so at some point, someone's cake will be in the way of someone elses. She also pointed out that the cake in hand was her own. Im not saying your wrong or trying to start an arguement by no means but I really feel like she is a victum here.

She said she moved the cake.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:51am
post #66 of 106
Quote:

Quote:

And if she got disqualified for moving the cake, then this discussion would be moot.

To my understanding she was accused of sabotage. That is the issue.

Courtney I am sorry this happened to you. I will have to watch the show and see what exactly was said and shown. I want to be an informed ranter when I email FN. icon_wink.gif

-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:55am
post #67 of 106
Quote:

Quote:

Because Jorg was hogging the shelf.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:11am
post #68 of 106

If Kerry were going to complain to FN about unfair editing, I'd want her to start with how they make her look a bit mean. My dear friend Moy introduced me at OSSAS in '07 (thanks again!) and I was pleasantly surprised by how sweet she was. Those shows make her look a little less user-friendly.

I watched the show in question and knew right away there would be some fall-out from it. It was a horribly unfortunate situation. I do believe they each have their own coolers behind them, don't they? But this communal cooler is for overflow if you fill up your cooler, correct? Or am I confused?

All the cakes were really great... I especially enjoyed Jorg's piping (and I adored Kerry's reaction to it, "OH, you ARE a good boy, aren't you?") and the 'chandelier' pieces of Marina's were fantastic.

Tita9499 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 2:15am
post #69 of 106

All Kerry needed was a whip to make it classic...uh oh! Let me go back to the laundry thread with that.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:03am
post #70 of 106

I really like Kerry. I think she is kind and generous, and a great cake decorator. I also think she is very misunderstood-she isn't nearly that mean! However, even the best of us can be wrong sometimes. I find it alarming when someone is defended simply because of their celebrity. Just because she is Kerry Vincent Fabulous Cake Decorator doesn't mean she didn't make a mistake here.

Honestly, no one knows for sure whether or not Courtney damaged the cake. But she certainly wasn't sabotaging.

Tita9499 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:20am
post #71 of 106

The thing that's getting me is that people are jumping the gun based on one side of the story. I understand "supporting" other cake decorators, but how embarassing would it be for all us to get "up in arms" ready to attack Food Network and they did have proof that she messed up the cake...

PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY: I'm NOT saying that she did or didn't mess up the cake, but since we can't prove that she did or didn't, why don't we just accept it for what it is? If you're that upset, sure write an email (doubt it will do anything) or boycott the Challenge shows.

I personally think that if Courtney felt that slandered, we should be hearing about a lawsuit she's filing to recitfy it. Since I don't know both sides of the story I think it's a little too much to be so upset about it, afterall, I'm not getting a cut of 10 grand either way.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:09am
post #72 of 106

I wonder if it was 'sweeps week' when they aired this show. Coupling a big ratings draw like Miley Cyrus with this unusual drama... well, for both to be on the same show makes me wonder how geared the whole thing was to getting ratings. Know what I mean?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:24am
post #73 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Since I don't know both sides of the story I think it's a little too much to be so upset about it, afterall, I'm not getting a cut of 10 grand either way.

I think this is the reason that we're "up in arms", because they did only portray ONE side of the story. That's very unfair and I would have hated to be on the losing side of that.

Tita9499 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:30am
post #74 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:

Since I don't know both sides of the story I think it's a little too much to be so upset about it, afterall, I'm not getting a cut of 10 grand either way.

I think this is the reason that we're "up in arms", because they did only portray ONE side of the story. That's very unfair and I would have hated to be on the losing side of that.

So what do you think Courtney should do. Everyone who feels she was wronged is going to send an email to FN, but what is she going to do to reinstate her good name (which I, personally, don't think was tarnished because of this- but I could be wrong)?

-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:03pm
post #75 of 106
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So what do you think Courtney should do. Everyone who feels she was wronged is going to send an email to FN, but what is she going to do to reinstate her good name (which I, personally, don't think was tarnished because of this- but I could be wrong)?

Well she had to sign waivers beforehand so she might be limited as to what she can do. I think she could use this to fan the flames of her celebrity--They say there's no such thing a s bad publicity-- I think she should talk to some image maker type people--a publicist.

I don't think it's really anything to sue over--I mean the 'great sabotage' was weenie stupid boopid--took two sipes of a spatula to fix icon_rolleyes.gif so...

In the moral support thread one poster's 8 year old daughter saw through the rail roading of Courtney and the silly situation.

Which is why I started the support thread--I think she just needs to let some time go by--she needed to know we are behind her and then to get this behind her ultimately. Then everytime it comes on everybody who has at least an eighth grade education can see for themselves what's fair and what's not fair.

I mean I'm not even ever commenting here on the right or wrongness of which contestant did what when--Food TV sucks big ones for being so low that snakes are straining to look down on 'em. They lost a viewer and a vocal one at that.

More importantly than writing to Food TV who is collectively so shallow they obviously would just feel the ego stroke, it is more effective to write their sponsors.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 1:21pm
post #76 of 106
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As k8 said there probably isn't a whole lot legally that she can do. I think if she and Jorg went to the producers and voiced their disgust over how the episode was aired, maybe they could save this from happening to another decorator.

chilz822 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:41pm
post #77 of 106

But... will FN let it go and die down? You know how in the beginning of each challenge, they have a short bio of each competitor and mention some key things about them... will they pull this incident back out when introducing Courtney next time?
Like Marina Sousa's fainting episode? When they intro'd her on the Miley episode they made mention and showed footage of her drama. Will Courtney be tarnished and labeled the 'bad girl' now? "Blah blah Courtney this and that... if you remember folks from the last FN challenge, she's the one that damaged another competotor's cale... blah blah..".
Hopefully they just let it go.

(Edited to say, I swear I pressed submit once and got triple pots!)

chilz822 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:42pm
post #78 of 106

But... will FN let it go and die down? You know how in the beginning of each challenge, they have a short bio of each competitor and mention some key things about them... will they pull this incident back out when introducing Courtney next time?
Like Marina Sousa's fainting episode? When they intro'd her on the Miley episode they made mention and showed footage of her drama. Will Courtney be tarnished and labeled the 'bad girl' now? "Blah blah Courtney this and that... if you remember folks from the last FN challenge, she's the one that damaged another competotor's cale... blah blah..".

chilz822 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:43pm
post #79 of 106

Tita9499 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 3:45pm
post #80 of 106
Quote:

I mean the 'great sabotage' was weenie stupid boopid...

More importantly than writing to Food TV who is collectively so shallow they obviously would just feel the ego stroke, it is more effective to write their sponsors.

icon_surprised.gif OOOOH! No she din't!

K8, is 'weenie stupid boopid' a technical term? icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:00pm
post #81 of 106

There it is--a silver lining--you hit it, ChilZ!

She can embrace being the "sweet bad girl of baking"! (If she wants) I mean how earth shatteringly tragic to slightly scrape off an eighth of an inch thick of crumb coat--Oh My God Oh My God--Call the medics--call 911--call the Feds--call your shrink are you kidding me??!!

Hell I've inhaled more icing backing a cake out of the stationwagon bumping my head on the hatch, doing a face plant in the fricken cake. (think dna here, people) icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

She should embrace this and dress up like she's in West Side Story or something.

Rise above it--make fun of Food TV back for being so petty.

I mean what a criminal endeavor here. Hey let's see, about a tablespoon of icing she rubbed out with her weapon of choice--her trusty refrigerator. Bwooowahahahaha

She could wear a holster with a frige in it--ready to rub out entire tablespoons of crumb coat anywhere there's a camera to catch her every move.

I mean this is why I think she should talk to a publicist to get a professional spin on this. This can totally be spun to her everlasting advantage.

Y'know how Elissa Straus did the giant sock puppet after her first sock monkey didn't win. Kinda sorta like that.

But I'm not suggesting Courtney go back on that network--I'm just running my mouth.

Would be cool if she went on Duff though...hmm...they could chase each other around Charm City Cakes through the magic of televison-- he could shoot her with fireworks and his welder & tools and she could thwap tablespoons of icing at him then lower a frige on him--BOOM!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:02pm
post #82 of 106
Quote:

Quote:

I mean the 'great sabotage' was weenie stupid boopid...

icon_surprised.gif OOOOH! No she din't!

K8, is 'weenie stupid boopid' a technical term? icon_lol.gif

You can spot 'em, Tita, highly technical--'don't try this at home' technical. icon_lol.gif

chilz822 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:05pm
post #83 of 106

I LOVE IT!!!icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

'FN's resident bad-girl, Courtney, stick around folks to see what 'we say' she does this time!!'
LOL

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:40pm
post #84 of 106

Ive read through this entire post and have the Challenge on my DVR. I know that you are watching this thread Courtney and I think you SHOULD do another Challenge! BUT should only do it under certain guidelines: no mention of any kind about this complete fiasco (flashback style) that they caused for you (defamation of character). In other words, no sleazy cheap drama filled commercials, no talk at all in the next Challenge. THE FOOD NETWORK OWES YOU THIS! You do excellent work and we Cakers love to see this type of "Art." I think everyone (and there is a lot of talent and skill in this Community) here would think very highly of you if you did do another Challenge.

And if Kerry V (or friend) happens to glance at this thread, "You should be ashamed of yourself!" Will someone pull the cake knife out of Courtney's back? You said, "I just learned..." Whatever! Why didnt you go to Courtney first? Why didnt you take up for her? You were NOT neutral. I'm so sick of your negativity/sour disposition from all the past Challenges (esp when talking about someones Spray painting technique).

mlsousa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlsousa Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:36am
post #85 of 106

Hi After reading this thread Im not entirely sure if I should be posting this here but several CC members emailed me asking me to reply to their questions with this link I see the conversation has turned more about the cake controversy as opposed to the cakes themselves. Sadly, a trend that seems to have started on the show itself. Ill answer the questions I have been asked about my Miley cake below

Q: How did you make the beads?
A: the beads were made from isolmalt (a sugar substitute that is less temperamental than sugar) The sugar was melted down and tinted with liquid airbrush food coloring.

Isolmalt- once cooked can be re-heated in the microwave to keep it in a liquid state, which is what is required to pour it into the molds. The best part of microwaving it (as opposed to re-heating it over the stove top) is that it does not caramelize- so there is no color change. If you have ever worked with sugar before you know what a plus that is!

Q: Where did you get the molds?
A: the molds were such an issue! Ultimately we ended up making our own molds but that was after several attempts by a mold making company that just didnt work quite right. We used Silicone Plastique from: http://www.culinart.net/silicone.html
There are really good step-by-step instructions on the website.

I bought plastic beads from a craft store and used those to form the mold. We ended up using pretty basic ribbed round beads however, we tried several different shapes and sizes. We really liked some of the more typical chandelier shapes but consistency & weight was an issue.

Once the molds set we took a very sharp exacto blade and made a very shallow slice down the center to create a space for the string to sink into. Once secured the isolmalt was poured into the molds and removed once they were set.

It was definitely a trial and error process that Dawn spent a lot of time perfecting. Patience is key ☺

Q: What kind of string did you use for the beads?
A: we used beading string which I got in a craft store in the beading section. Any type of plastic or fishing line will melt when the sugar is poured into the mold. Any type of metal, wire thread etc. will kink up and wont hang straight.

Q: How were the strings attached?
A: the strings are individually attached to foamcore rings. Little slits were cut into the foamcore and the string was secured into the slits. Varying sized rings created the depth.

Q: Was this the same way you did the beads that we saw on Keegans wedding cake?
A: No. For Keegan & Lisas cake I made all of those beads by hand from fondant and pushed a pin through to create a hole in each bead. The beads were then individually strung on clear-stretchy beading string by knotting the string to secure each beads place.

This was a much more time consuming process that is why I really wanted to come up with an alternative way to do it for the competition. I think I spent 20+ hours making the beads and stringing them for the wedding cake- so clearly not the best competition technique!

Q: How much time does it take to prepare for a challenge?
A: Well that depends how you quantify time really! Honestly its pretty all consuming from the second you get the first phone call- mentally at least. I always say that 75% of the battle is just getting there. Packing and shipping and all the prep work can easily take a few dozen hours. The eight hours that are on the clock are seriously a fraction of what actually goes into the final product.

Q: Was Miley nice?
A: We spent 8 minutes with her. Literally 8 minutes- someone was standing there with a stopwatch! She was very sweet, funny and extremely grateful.

Q: Are you going to do another Challenge?
A: Im not sure. I was supposed to have competed in the big multi-week elimination Challenge that was filmed in January (will air in April) but backed out when my mother passed away suddenly. You never know what the future holds but Im not too anxious to get back in the ring anytime soon ☺

*Ive also been asked about the cake sabotage situation which I agree was blown out of proportion. I was pretty disappointed that was the emphasis of the production as opposed to the artistry of the cakes themselves. I heard nothing of it until after I finished my face the judges- which was right after Courtney, they aired them out of order. It was really an insignificant incident in the grander scheme of the day. Jorg won 2nd place & the silver metal so obviously was not hindered by it.

At the end of the day its a TV show and in exchange for the publicity we sign a stack of waivers and documents and inch thick that signs our lives away. In every competition that I have been a part of there is SO much that happens that never makes it to the final show time frames and the sequence of events altered, phrases from hours of interviews taken out of context, thats just part of the deal. As with all things there is a flip side to every story. Even though I haven't always agreed with some of the editing choices - I love what FN Challenge has done for our industry and really hope that future episodes focus on the reason we all show up to compete CAKE!

Feel free to contact me anytime with any other questions about the cake.
Thank you all so much for your support, e-mails and well wishes!
-Marina @ Just Cake

Tita9499 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 5:43am
post #86 of 106

Ms. Sousa: I really respect and admire your work. I think you did a fabulous job on all the cake challenges that you competed in and I pray for continued success for you. Thanks for your tips on the beadwork I know many of us will be using it for inspiration!

hazelnut77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelnut77 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:26am
post #87 of 106

Ditto Tita, and also Ms. Sousa are you planning on doing a book or teaching some classes anytime soon??

DreamInCake11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamInCake11 Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 6:45am
post #88 of 106

Thanks so much for explaining the beads. I thought the beading was amazing - I loved the effect!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 8:58am
post #89 of 106

Marina,

Thanks for taking the time and posting the answers to our questions. I'm sure it will be much appreciated by all the folks here on cc.
I also think you do a great job on all of your challenges.

I am very sorry to hear about your mom's sudden passing. My heart felt condolences to both you and your family.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm
post #90 of 106

Marina, I'm terribly sorry to hear of your recent loss. Thanks so much for the information you've graciously provided and the hours of enjoyable 'cake-watching' on all the challenges! I love them, and hope to see you 'back in the saddle' soon, so to speak!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%