~~Miley Cyrus Challenge~~

Decorating By cakeladyatLA Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 2:29am by conchita

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:50pm
post #31 of 106

wow, am i understanding this correctly. the story was fabricated? that is horrible. FN should be responsible for re-instating your good name.
i am sorry. your work is awesome! good luck with your future projects.
and please return here, so we can continue to admire and learn.
have a great day!
darlene

weezasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezasmom Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #32 of 106

I have always thought that the judge who called you out has her braid wound too tight this just confirms my suspitions. I love your work and would like to see more of it.

cakenouveau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenouveau Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #33 of 106

Oh my gosh, you guys are going to make me cry! You're so nice!! We've been through a very rough time with this. We just don't get it, FN has always been so great, this is such a huge shock. And talk about dramatic, tune in for the big show in April, I'm not allowed to say anything about it, but it goes way beyond dramatic. You guys are the best!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:03pm
post #34 of 106

I didn't see the show (too bad!) but I'm sorry this happened to you! Evidently Food Network adds alot of drama...I know I was working for one of the "Dinner Impossible" places when the started shooting that, and they totally made up some of the anger and drama that would have otherwise been a perfectly normal and easy wedding...just to make the show more interesting. They even coached one of the employees to look upset and angry. So this doesn't surprise me...

Although its so unfair to make you look bad on national tv!!! Hope you stay on CC!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #35 of 106

No, you're the best, Courtney. You did not deserve that.

Hey, watch this thread too--it's in the General forum.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-620179.html

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #36 of 106

Courtney, I didn't see the challenge, but you make beautiful cakes. Your Nemo cake was just amazing! I can't believe FN would be so low. At the very, very least they need to publicly apologize and set the record straight. I saw the Disney challenge and there is no way I would ever believe you of sabotage.

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:08pm
post #37 of 106

What show are we talking about??? What is the name of it?

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:10pm
post #38 of 106

It was a Food Network Cake Challenge for Miley Cyrus

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #39 of 106

Food Network's Challenge series. It was the Miley Cyrus Sweet 16 birthday cake challenge shown earlier in the month.

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #40 of 106

Wow! Are all of the show "cake challges" or did they just happen to focus THIS particular episode on cakes?

aundrea Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #41 of 106

tick, tick, tick - countdown to april. i am sure we are in for a big surprise. the people here at cakecentral are really a big family.
and are here to support and encourage each other.
thank-you for sharing your story.
what an eye opener.

kbak37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbak37 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #42 of 106

Ok, I vented to Food Network! Dont know if it will change anything, but I feel better. And Courtney rocks!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:16pm
post #43 of 106

Does anybody know hot to make the sugar crystals she made, I got the mold down just making the sugar itself, I would say it's rock hard candy, sorry never made it, but just curious if anyone knows how and can share a bit with me. Thanks!

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:21pm
post #44 of 106

I have a question though, is there bad blood between Courtney and FN? I can't understand why they would risk a defamation or slander lawsuit just to get ratings.

Courtney's an awesome cake designer, no doubt about it, to be quite honest when I saw the show I said to my husband unless Courtney was 100% positive that she didn't damage the cake (which she kind of reacted like she wasn't sure if she did or didn't- unless that was editing) she should've given Jorg a heads up and/or offered to repair the crumbcoat.

I know some feel that "it was only a crumboat", but it still needed to be repaired which took time from Jorg's cake. I just thought about like, "What if it were my cake that was damaged? Would it still be "just a crumbcoat", not to me"

Just my thoughts. I agree that Marina's was my favorite and I truly felt bad for Michelle because you could just see her slowly unraveling- it broke my heart.

I wonder why Buddy didn't compete.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:21pm
post #45 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenouveau

Oh my gosh, you guys are going to make me cry! You're so nice!! We've been through a very rough time with this. We just don't get it, FN has always been so great, this is such a huge shock. And talk about dramatic, tune in for the big show in April, I'm not allowed to say anything about it, but it goes way beyond dramatic. You guys are the best!

Dear Courtney:
I really hope you read this.

I just wanted to let you know that you are an inspiration for all of us and we clearly saw through the whole drama.
Please do not give up on FN challenges, we enjoy watching you.
Youve already proved youre awesome and you dont need to sabotage anyone in order to win.

P.S. I will definitely write to FN to demand an apology in your behalf! How dare FN!!!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm
post #46 of 106

Look, Courtney knew the cameras were rolling on her while she was in the fridge, they weren't hidden. So, if she damaged the cake, the cameras would have caught it, she would have been busted on film. She would have acknowledged that it happened because the cameras were right there, even if it were just through a facial expression. There were no clips of others going in and out of that fridge... where's that footage?

It's ridiculous to accuse without proof and when the proof you provide is so inconclusive, then at that point, it's slander and defamation of character and a lie.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:42pm
post #47 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenouveau

I hate this happened to you...I was really hoping your cake would win. Too bad they can't let the viewers decide the winner! You would have my vote for sure!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 5:44pm
post #48 of 106

Its funny but I was thinking the same thing! Why not show the actual sabatoge if your going to accuse someone of it?! And really, all that was wrong with it was a little bit of the frosting was taken off! Its not like there were chunks missing! If someone was to sabatoge a cake, I would think you would do more than just take a little frosting of a corner! He probably did it himself when he put the cake into the fridge in the first place! I know Ive done that many times and really, its NO Big Deal!! It took him what, half a minute to put a small amount on the cake and smooth it out? Like the fondant wouldnt of worked without it? To me, they made a big deal out of nothing in the first place and really they need to be put into their places!
And speaking of the other show, how the heck could they of not known that the guy didnt work for the Queen of England? I dont think you can just make that stuff up on your resume without someone calling you on it! To me, they just wanted more drama and ratings! The show probably wasnt doing well and they figured if they hired someone else to do it that they might get better ratings out of the whole thing.
Does anyone know why they dont broadcast the OSSAS show anymore? I used to look forward to seeing it every spring and after that one year where they had the four people that they followed to the show they just stopped! I want it back dammit!!!
Ok, done venting here. Courtney, you seriously need to look it a defimation of character suite here. (sorry for the spelling!)

cakenouveau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenouveau Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:03pm
post #49 of 106

Thanks thanks thanks!!! Here is a message I left in the other discussion going on called "falsely accused", I explained a little more about what happened. Not to add to this non-issue, but what the heck, I'm frustrated! (drinking tea out of my mary poppins mug).....

Hi again guys. Let me say it again, you're great! When something like this happens, it really means a lot to have people behind you! Actually, the whole thing didn't happen. The footage that they show of the "sabataged" cake of Jorg's was actually after the cake was bumped. So they made it look like I was the one who had done it. I was actually holding my OWN cake in that footage, not his. There, unfortunately, were no camera's when I went to the cooler, so we'll never know how it happened (since ALL 4 competitors has cakes in that same cooler) but who really cares, it was a small ding, and Jorg didn't even know there was anything wrong with it until the producer told him. So.....ugh, frustrating, I guess I looked like a good person to blame it on. Oy Vey. I've been watching a lot of Willy Wonka to make me feel bettericon_smile.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 6:12pm
post #50 of 106

Take the high road Courtney, we saw the truth.
icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 7:46pm
post #51 of 106

This makes me so mad for you, but not to worry Courtney, we're all behind you! I'll definitely be going to FN to complain about this unfair treatment just for ratings.

I hope the oompa loompa's are cheering you up!

Oh and welcome to CC.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:03pm
post #52 of 106

I think I would be sticking my Mary Poppin's umbrella where the sun dont shine on the producers!!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:11pm
post #53 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

I think I would be sticking my Mary Poppin's umbrella where the sun dont shine on the producers!!!

ImageImageImage

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:22pm
post #54 of 106

OK, feeling better now. I too just went on the FN site and sent them an e-mail demanding a public apology to Courtney. icon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:33pm
post #55 of 106

Courtney, I watched that episode and I am in agreement with everyone here. I would love to see your cakes - would you post your website? I feel like I must be the only CC'er who doesn't know.

Thanks!
Martha

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:36pm
post #56 of 106

This is exactly why I have a love/hate relationship with FN Challenge. They seem to have fallen into the trap of creating unnecessary drama just for the ratings.

To me, there was plenty of drama on Challenge just from the competition alone! If you take a look at some of the very first episodes, they didn't try pulling any of that crap...it was just 5 cake designers doing what they do best, making beautiful cakes. There was no "facing the judges" at the end, just the judges deliberating in private and then announcing the winner. And the focus of the show has turned almost entirely on what's going wrong for each team instead of what they're doing right.

I'll be honest and tell you that I didn't even bother watching the Miley episode...I need a break from the show and maybe revisit it later on to see if they've pulled their act together!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:47pm
post #57 of 106

FN needs to remember cakers watch the show and we all stick together. The whole incident was CRakers! tapedshut.gif If they did not want to be made to look guilty of pulling a drama card, they should have had a fridge for each competitor! icon_mad.gif

Courtney, please don't stop the comptetion stuff. You are amazing to watch and an inspiration for all of us. If, come April, FN pull this tapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif stuff again, I am sure it will be a mistake for them. I hope they take the time and reflect on their poor attitude and lack of professionalism and re-edit the program.

aundrea Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm
post #58 of 106

Ijust watched the episode again and now I see why you looked like a deer caught in the headlights. I still love to watch the cakr challenges, now I will watch more closley.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 25 Feb 2009 , 9:05pm
post #59 of 106

My 2 cents...
I think it was ridiculous the way they got the whole thing out of control. Who says it was not the person who put the cake in the fridge? That has happened to me!..More than that, is not a major biggie, slap some icing and it's fix!. Arent we masters at sugar????...It's not a major thing and it is strange that when she was putting the cake in there, there was no reaction on her part that said oops...I hit that cake.

I dont think it was nice to make a major deal and put the work of a fellow cake decorator in jeopardy for something so simple...

I dont usually like to post negative feelings, but that was totally demeaning for her in her work, and it shouldn't have been made a major situation. It should have been said backstage to her, if she did it and she didnt noticed so she could had fix the problem..Or at least make sure it was her..nobody knows for sure what happened if someone knew they should have gone to her. Im pretty sure she would have fix it.

Another thing...for a major competition, I think every competitor should have their own fridge, those mistakes are so avoidable..(im not sure this is a word..lol)
Edna

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 12:59am
post #60 of 106

Let us be fair. Last time I checked there are two sides to every story. The sound bite of Kerry has her saying "I learned the cake had been damaged" and last time I checked, that is not accusing. Also, It is never a good idea to move any cake that is not your own cake. I would consider it un.... professional.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%