Not Sure What Happened

Decorating By suzie1962 Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 2:53am by BlakesCakes

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 2

I had two cakes for this weekend, one a wedding cake and the other a birthday cake. I started baking on Tuesday and put the cakes in the freezer for the weekend. Well, we had a HUGE snowstorm here and my power went out. I left the cakes in the freezer as it is under my house and really cold under there. I did the wedding cake yesterday and it seemed OK although I haven't gotten any feedback about it. I decorated the birthday cake today and it came out really cute, but at the party, when eating the cake, I realized that it was VERY moist, like REALLY most, almost mushy. In the middle of the night last night, the power came back on and I wonder if having the cake frozen, then thaw and then freeze again could have been the problem. Any ideas? I was really embarrassed because the chocolate cake that I normally make tastes so good and this was TERRIBLE!!

1 reply
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 2:53am
post #2 of 2

I do think it was the thawing and re-freezing that caused the problem.

In hindsight, it probably would have been a good idea to let the cakes sit out, uncovered for awhile to "dry out" before icing and assembling--that might have cut down on the mushiness.

I'm sure things were fine for the recipients--we're our own worse critics! Heck, Mother Nature is more at fault here than you are!

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%