Ready Made Icing

Decorating By HeavenlyDelights Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 12:14am by milissasmom

HeavenlyDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeavenlyDelights Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hey everybody, what's your take on ready made icing? I've ordered Dixie's Icing, absolutely love it, hate the shipping cost. Tried Dawn Foods icing, cost is better too sweet though, any other's out there other than Wilton's? I like to keep it on hand when I don't have the time or notion to make my own.

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 5

Well, I make *everything* from scratch (except my fondant icon_smile.gif). I don't want my cakes to taste like something you could get at Wal-mart. Also, I make IMBC, not Wilton's "buttercream". I'm fairly certain it's pretty close to impossible to get a decent IMBC premade (and if someone had one, I'd be scared of how many chemicals it would have it it).

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 5

I love the frosting at Costco, mine wont sell it to me though, but others have had luck buying it there. Also Sams club I have heard is good.

Dont do Wilton, that is all I can say...

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 12:05am
post #4 of 5

wilton, has a very good buttercream icing.. the one with the butter and crisco.. i use whipping cream, instead of water or milk... i was introduced to it about 7 yrs. ago.. when i took a refresher course, here.. the lady owned her bakery.. and taught cake decorating... there are lots of recipes on here .. that use your butter and crisco and whipping cream or milk or half and half... they just don,t call it wilton... yes, it is not your... IMBC... or your SMBC or your french meringue buttercream... i do like rich's bettercream from sams.... cosco , here doesn,t sell there pastry pride either... so , just go on this site... and try all these delicious recipes of icings... hth

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 12:14am
post #5 of 5

Ready made Icing to keep on hand? I don't know because I make all mine from scratch. But I have heard great things about Sam's Club and Costco selling it. I would just ask around at your local stores and see what options you have. But the Wilton stuff is pretty gross, it would not be at the top of my list. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%