Defrosted Buttercream A Mess

Decorating By mbpbrighteyes Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 12:06am by prterrell

mbpbrighteyes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:53am
post #1 of 5

Okay.. so not sure what happened- I know tons of you freeze your leftover buttercream without any issues. Well- I had some left over about 2 weeks ago and stuck it into the freezer- air tight tupperware dish. Pulled it out today for daughters friends that are coming over to decorate cookies, but it's a mess! I let it defrost on the counter most of the day- at room temp, stuck it back into the mixer and remixed it. It's much too wet!! Won't crust and well... just seems too wet. It's for the kids, so I don't care too much, just added pow sugar... but can anyone tell me what went wrong??

4 replies
Evoir Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 9:06am
post #2 of 5

I heard through my cake decorating course that Tupperware absorbs oils from frostings and icings...maybe that threw the sugar/oil/liquid balance in your buttercream?

mbpbrighteyes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:52am
post #3 of 5

Hmmm... maybe so! Also wondering if maybe because there was space at the top of the bowl the condensation stayed with the frosting instead of going "outside" the dish. I know most people freeze in ziplocs... anyone?

saap1204 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 5

When I freeze leftover frosting in Rubbermaid containers, I push a piece of plastic wrap down onto the frosting. I have never had a problem with frosting being too wet. I then defrost in the frig or on the counter, stir it or rewhip it and it is good to go.

prterrell Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 12:06am
post #5 of 5

I always freeze in ziploc freezer bags. Never had a problem with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%