Defrosted Buttercream A Mess

Decorating By mbpbrighteyes Updated 14 Feb 2009 , 12:06am by prterrell

mbpbrighteyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbpbrighteyes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 5:53am
post #1 of 5

Okay.. so not sure what happened- I know tons of you freeze your leftover buttercream without any issues. Well- I had some left over about 2 weeks ago and stuck it into the freezer- air tight tupperware dish. Pulled it out today for daughters friends that are coming over to decorate cookies, but it's a mess! I let it defrost on the counter most of the day- at room temp, stuck it back into the mixer and remixed it. It's much too wet!! Won't crust and well... just seems too wet. It's for the kids, so I don't care too much, just added pow sugar... but can anyone tell me what went wrong??

4 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 9:06am
post #2 of 5

I heard through my cake decorating course that Tupperware absorbs oils from frostings and icings...maybe that threw the sugar/oil/liquid balance in your buttercream?

mbpbrighteyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbpbrighteyes Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:52am
post #3 of 5

Hmmm... maybe so! Also wondering if maybe because there was space at the top of the bowl the condensation stayed with the frosting instead of going "outside" the dish. I know most people freeze in ziplocs... anyone?

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 5

When I freeze leftover frosting in Rubbermaid containers, I push a piece of plastic wrap down onto the frosting. I have never had a problem with frosting being too wet. I then defrost in the frig or on the counter, stir it or rewhip it and it is good to go.

HTH

Sheryl

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 12:06am
post #5 of 5

I always freeze in ziploc freezer bags. Never had a problem with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%