shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 13

will sugar cookies work without it? I'm in a crunch

12 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 13

I think you can substitute a mixture of baking soda and cream of tartar, but I'm afraid I don't know the proper ratio.....

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 13

I haven't done so, but I do see that some people leave it out all together.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 13

In this thread, they discuss leaving it out all together, one poster said you'll never missit:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-618235-0.html

HTH

shiney Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 13

i should have been patient, I just took off my cooking gear and ran to the store...which wouldn't have been so bad, butI had just done that becuase i didn't have enough eggs!!
THANKS, Y'all are the BEST!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 13

I think you'd miss it. I'd think the cookies would be extremely dense without the leavening agent. You can make paking powder... just take 1 tsp baking soda and add 2 tsp cream of tartar. If you aren't going to use it all right away, add 1 tsp of corn starch to absorb any moisture. icon_smile.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 13

1/4 tsp baking soda + 1/2 tsp cream of tartar = 1 tsp baking powder

shiney Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 13

You guys, you will not believe this...I'm sitting writting this so I don't throw myself down and CRY! I got last minute orders today for 40 cookies, I made two trips to store, mixed up my dough, and rolling it out seeing specks in it. WTF!!! This was a huge bag of flour I bought at Sams. AAAUUGG NOW, I have to wash everything, change clothes again, buy flour and start over. And these all have to bake, ice, dry, detail.....by 8am tomorrow!! PRAY FOR ME! AND on top of all that, I always try my dough before rolling it, and I've eaten these mysterious specks! They are black and reddish. PRAY for me even harder!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 13

I did a search for you. The authorities seem to feel it is mold or flour beetles.
http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/119.PDF

If it's a new bag,take it back!
And if you are allergic, take your medicine!

shiney Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 12:36am
post #10 of 13

Thanks, 7yyrt! I was freaked out! I bleached everything down, and even threw away the huge bag of sugar I had sitting under it. I love a long way away from Sams, and I'm not gonna keep it around! BUT, I certainly will really check my flour really well from now on. Now off to check out that link. My SIL couldn't believe I've been on this earth this long and never encountered that before!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 12:37am
post #11 of 13

Shiney - what do you store your dry goods in? They are more likely to get buggy if kept in their original bags/boxes.

shiney Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 12:48am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Shiney - what do you store your dry goods in? They are more likely to get buggy if kept in their original bags/boxes.

I normally buy the huge sugar and flour at sams, measure it up in double batch portions into ziplock bags and into the freezer. This time I didn't get around to it, and figured, well, it sits out in the store, so I'll get to it when I get time...and I never got around to it until I needed it. the flour I buy from the grocery store to use for my family, I keep in the fridge.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 3:43am
post #13 of 13

I'd bet it was the bugs, then. They can lay eggs in the glue of the paper bags.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%