Lace Doilies As Liners

Baking By sugarspice Updated 24 Feb 2009 , 12:57am by cakegal

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 9

I have a cupcake wedding cake ordered for April...have never done one! I would like something prettier than a plain cupcake liner for the cupcakes & have heard stories of foil liners pulling away-yikes! I read a suggestion here to use a lace doily and LOVE the idea. I was thinking I would bake in a plain liner and then put the cupcakes into the lace one for display (attach with icing or something on the bottom)
Has anyone done this & have any tips on how to shape the doily?? I am leary of baking in them-afraid of discoloration & sticking.

Thanks!!

8 replies
Cookie45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie45 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:05am
post #2 of 9

Hi sugarspice, I've been playing around with the inexpensive 6" doilies. Those laser cut holders are so expensive.

Here's what I came up with- The doilies have a solid part and a lacy 2" edge. Make a straight cut starting at a point between the scallops across the solid part until you get to about 1" away from the lacy edge on the opposite side.

Then take the cut edges and overlap them until you get a cone shape that will accommodate the size of the cupcake. I used a silicone liner as a measure since it was so sturdy. Tape the cut edges.

I tried snipping the bottom and folding it to make a holder, but it seemed too bulky. I ended up snipping the bottom off so that it was approximately the size of the bottom of the cupcake.

The cupcake rests inside the lacy holder and bottom of the cupcake is against the cake stand. These are easy to make, but a take a little time. They can be stacked one inside the other until used.

Once you figure out how much to snip off the bottom, you could do all the initial cuts, then the taping, then snip off the bottoms in an assembly line.

Hope this helps.

Cookie45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie45 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 5:16am
post #3 of 9

I also had another idea for a more modern style holder. Cut a piece of card stock the same height of the cupcake or even a little taller and long enough to go around the cupcake.

Run it through a scrapbooking crimper to get an interesting pattern. Shape the strip into a circle that is just a tiny bit smaller than the top of the cupcake and tape.

Slip the cupcake into the holder for serving. You could also glue a paper initial, heart, or ribbon or some other kind of dec on the front of the holder or use a patterned paper.

Good luck with your projects.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:14am
post #4 of 9

I've not used the doilies myself, but AlamoSweets has a photo in the templates gallery of a cut apart doilie that might help.
If you go the scrapebook route, you can also use edge punches to give a nice effect as well. Hope this helps.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:40am
post #5 of 9

in addition to making your liners, try some beaded ribbon around the edges of your stand. i did that last year at a wedding and the result was really nice. do you already have a stand?

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:44am
post #6 of 9
Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 9:09am
post #7 of 9

Melysa, you beat me to it.
Been racking my brains as I know I saved it and inbetween having breakfast, going to exhcange something at the baking shop and doing some shopping, I couldn't remember where I had saved this.

I think this such a cute idea, but if you have a couple of hundred then I'm not so sure!!

Good luck sugarspice!!

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the great ideas!! I do not have a stand yet. The bride would like a 6" tier at the top of the cupcake stand. Where would I find one???

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:57am
post #9 of 9

You could try making your own stand....
There's a few patterns on here with the how to's.
Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%