Supplies

Decorating By cmerola Updated 13 Feb 2009 , 4:13pm by rocketmom1985

cmerola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmerola Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:15am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know if caster sugar and table sugar(granulated) are the same thing? If not where do I get caster sugar

8 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:24am
post #2 of 9

Hi, caster sugar has mor finer grains than the granulated sugar. Caster sugar great for cakes. But I don't know where you can buy it. Sorry!

cmerola Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:38am
post #3 of 9

Do you think I can substitute granulated sugar for caster sugar?

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:45am
post #4 of 9

Well, all my cake recipes call for caster sugar. Does your recipe calls for caster sugar? If not, I would use what the recipe states.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 9

In the states it is called "Superfine" sugar. It is sometimes called baker's sugar or bar sugar (as it is used in some cocktails because it dissolves faster.) Some groceries carry it. (I know both Dominos and C&H make it.) Otherwise some liquor stores have it in small quantities (be careful not to get the margarita sugar...it is coarse.)

The following is quoted from Slashfood.com. See what they say about substitution:

"Superfine sugar is regular (granulated) sugar that has been ground more finely. It can be used as a substitute for regular sugar and may produce a slightly finer crumb(texture) in the finished product than regular sugar would, a result that is preferred by many bakers. Regular sugar, however, should not be substituted in the same way. Superfine sugar is almost always called for in recipes that are very light, like meringues and angel food cakes. It contributes to a light, delicate final product because the small grains dissolve into the mixture very quickly, while a coarser crystal might not be incorporated as fully or as quickly. You can make superfine sugar yourself by putting coarser sugar into the food processor and whizzing it around several times to break up larger crystals."

*edited because I am the typo queen

cmerola Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 11:56am
post #6 of 9

Thank you for your help. The recipe does call for caster sugar. So if I can't find it in my local market I'll give my granulated sugar a whirl in the food processor.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 9

In a professional forum I belong to, the standard agreed to for cutting down granulated sugar was 1 cup of sugar in the food processor, for 20 seconds.

Hope this helps -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cmerola Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 1:42am
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the great info!

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 9

great tip, thanks playingwithsugar.

I did see castor sugar in our HEB Plus store(the only other grocery store in south Texas other than Wally World icon_mad.gif ) and it was pricy! It was in the baking section with other sugars and sweeteners... The food processor idea is wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%