How Does Fondont Taste?

Decorating By jak4 Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 4:04am by Callyssa

jak4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jak4 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:08am
post #1 of 6

I want to do a bratz bday cake for my daughter thought about fondont but never used it before. Just wondered what it tasted like? Or just I just do the good old buttercream icing and transfer?

5 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:24am
post #2 of 6

If you are making figurines I wouldn't worry about it. If you are covering the cake with it.. don't use wiltons. YUCK! MMF tastes good though. Really easy too.

jak4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jak4 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:47am
post #3 of 6

thank you i will try this, can i color this mmf also? what would you use food coloring? i am new to this fondant stuff. but i want to try

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:53am
post #4 of 6

i use regular wilton gel colors to color my mmf, just add a lil at a time til you get the color you're after, i have never tried regular food coloring the liquid may make the mmf , too sticky, but i'm new to this too,, soo i'm not sure on that
but, the gel colors work fine, and you can find them at any walmart

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:55am
post #5 of 6

forgot to add
mmf definantly taste much better than wiltons
wiltons fondant has a strange plastic taste

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:04am
post #6 of 6

I've never made mmf before but people have said it's hard to color the darker colors; I don't know why that is. I make Michelle Foster's fondant and have no problem coloring it. Most people buy their black and red fondant because no matter what you use I guess it's very hard to get those colors 'right'.

I don't know how mmf tastes, some have said it reminds them of those orange circus peanuts. Michelle Fosters tastes like icing to me; just sweet. Oddly though, on a cake it doesn't give me that sickeningly sweet feeling that bc does. The texture is different....most people don't enjoy "chewing their icing".....I can't tell you how many times I've heard that. I LOVE the fondant I make though. It gives the cake more body, makes it seem more substantial. It's kind of like chewing I guess, but not really. I just really like it; I'm one of the few though. I think most people that SAY they don't like fondant were probably introduced to Wilton for their first experience since it's so easy to find, and easier to work with. It tastes like eating car paint, in my opinion!

I'm on a mission to set these people straight on what fondant really should taste like! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%