Preserving Fondant Figurines

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 2:13pm by mommak

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have an idea of how you can preserve figurines that are made of fondant? I have started making cakes with sculpted figures for toppers. People are wanting to save them. I can just see ants or other bugs being drawn to them or humidity turning them into a big glop. icon_eek.gif

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:58am
post #2 of 5

Hi, are the figures made out of fondant only, or gumpaste mixed? If it is with gumpaste mix, put it in a an airtight box and away from direct sun light.

Sorry I cannot help, if they are made out of fondant only.

icon_smile.gif

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:52am
post #3 of 5

I'm anxious to see how others answer. Mine are made with 1/2 gumpaste 1/2 fondant. I have a figure that has been sitting in my hutch for over a year. No problems with it. No ants, no glob. Someone else has had theirs for a 1 1/2, also no problems. She has hers sitting inside a china hutch. Wish I could be of more help.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 5

I am new to this, but I am using half fondant and half gumpaste. I just wasn't sure what to tell the people that I make the cakes for. I am using MMF and even when I mix it with gumpaste in the beginning it kind of slouches. Do I need to add more gumpaste or more powdered sugar?

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 5

I don't make my fondant so I'm not sure if it reacts differently with the gumpaste? I've never had any problems mixing gumpaste and fondant. I'm hoping someone on here is able to help you out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%