Did You & Do You Make Cake Samples?

Business By sugarcheryl Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 6:39pm by loriemoms

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 12

For potential customers. I do cake tasting for brides but for the special occasion cakes do you have tasting for them. I have a potential customer who heard about me but wanted to know if I did tasting. I rather take to her work place and that way I could reach more people. I do not want a lot of traffic in my house and do cake tasting for special occasion cakes. Any suggestions?

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 12

I only sample for wedding cakes.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 12

My policy is your cake you are wanting must feed at least 100 people to qualify for a cake sampling. And there is a fee which is waived if they book with me.

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 12

How exactly does a tasting go down? I am so new that I am sure tastings are not even close to around the corner, and I have never had to shop for a cake before. Do you make a bunch on mini cakes in different flavors, or do you have them pick a couple flavors that they are interested in?

I have heard people talk about tastings and always wondered...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 12

I let them sample 1, 2, or 3 flavors of cake which I make up as a 4" round, torted. The number of flavors depends on the size of the potential order. I give them a list of 8 flavors to choose from.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 12

I only sample for weddings...since theyre usually spending about $1k with me.
I usually do between 4-6 flavors, and I try to book all of my tastings on one day. Usually the third weekend of each month.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:20am
post #7 of 12

I offer free tastings period, because sometimes (not always) I have to do a "big song and dance" because vegan cakes have a bad rep. It helps them see that there is nothing to be scared of.

I'm still establishing myself, but down the road I'll probably only offer them for weddings. It gets expensive and it's a lot of work.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:53am
post #8 of 12

I only do free tastings for weddings and parties larger then 100 servings. Otherwise, I offer them to buy cupcakes at a slightly lower price for "tasting" They give me the flavors they want and come pick them up.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 12

I too only do them for wedding cakes. I do them for free, but that policy may change next year. We meet at a local coffee shop and go from there.

I make a 4" round cake and divide it into 6 wedges. Usually there are 3 people per appointment (BTB, GTB, and MOB) so I prepare 3 plates with 3 flavors (of my choosing) on each plate. Any leftover wedges get wrapped in saran wrap and placed in a ziplock bag in my freezer. I label the plates so they know what they're eating. I squirt my bc on each wedge and place a scoop of strawberry filling in the center of the plate. I also have a bottled water for each person as well as a plastic fork and party napkin.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 12

I was just wondering ~ how often does the MOB cause drama? I haven't dealt with one yet (only done a few friends/relatives wed cakes), and have a potential wedding from someone I don't know.
Does the drama/problem ever happen at the tasting, because those types of people (rude, etc.) make me very uncomfortable. icon_sad.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:34pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

I was just wondering ~ how often does the MOB cause drama? I haven't dealt with one yet (only done a few friends/relatives wed cakes), and have a potential wedding from someone I don't know.
Does the drama/problem ever happen at the tasting, because those types of people (rude, etc.) make me very uncomfortable. icon_sad.gif

I've read a few times of it happening, but it has never happened to me. All my brides and moms have been super nice.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

I had a couple of MOB who cannot beleive their daughter wants black at her wedding, or doesnt like swags or wants to actually serve mango filling...but they mom sees my age and usually kind of connects with me and I never had any go crazy or anything. SOME brides though, sometimes I want to slap them they treat their mom's like crap...We had one couple who brought the grooms parents and while we were doing our contract stuff, the grooms parents were cutting the bride to shreads. I really felt sorry for her. ("you read too slow" and "you aren't going to fit into your dress if you keep eating cake like a pig" and things like that)
Tastings are always an interesting experience!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%