Help Needed On Shopping Bag And Book Cake!!

Decorating By MissRobin Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm by MissRobin

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 7

I need all of your expert advice on making a shopping bag cake and book cake, any input on creating and details will be much appreciated!!!

6 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 7

I assume you are making 2 different cakes.....??? Wilton makes an open book cake pan...that is the only thing I can help you with. Good luck?

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 7

I recently did a shopping bag cake (standing up) and used 2) 8"X12" cakes; cut them into 4" wide pieces, and stacked 4 layers high (resulting in one leftover). I did use a cake board between supported with straws, and then 2 wooden dowels all the way through, including the foamboard, and it traveled very well. The picture is in my photos. I also did a diaper bag lying down (same technique) and used two sheet cakes; also in my photos.. hth

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 7

I did a book cake for my son for his 18th birthday. It turned out nice. He didn't want fondant all over, so I adjusted the typical book cake.

I used a 9x13 sheet cake, and frosted it with pretty stiff chocolate buttercream frosting (his favorite). Then, after it was a bit crusted, I took a piece of crumpled plastic wrap and gently pressed it all over to give the icing a leathery look.

I used colored fondant to make the book's details (this was a D&D manual). Some of the pieces I rolled out on a textured cutting board to make tehm look like real pounded metal.

I used a ruler and paper templates that I made using the book as a guide. I used canoli molds to punch out the larger round pieces, and a small round cutter for the smaller pieces. ((I figured anything round was fair game as a cutter, as long as it was the right size)) I made fondant balls and cut them in half with a razor blade to make the things that look like tacks or studs.

I used silver and gold pearl dust to paint the pieces to look like metal.

I used an airbrush with black color to make the book look aged around the places I wanted to place the details. You could use the wilton spray color if you don't have an airbrush.

FOr the binding I cut the fondant with a ruler. I learned that I needed to cut it a little shorter than I really needed, then I tucked the ends under carefully to make it look like the edge of a book.

For the back of the book, I rolled out a thin piece of fondant and pushed it up around the bottom of the cake. Then I piped the pages with a bag of mixed yellowish and white buttercream.

This cake was a lot of fun, but it took a long time to make. I started baking at 10am, and got the writing on at about 4:30pm.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1301785

MissRobin Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the help everyone!! I do appreciate it!! They are two seperate cakes and the book will be closed. I have read on here about the technique of wrapping fondant around the book, but having a hard time "wrapping my brain" around it!! Ha! As for the shopping bag, just wondering where you put the seam on the bag, because I think you have to wrap it around also, in order to have overhang at top! Hope this all makes sense!! Anyway, thanks again, and Brenda your book is awesome!!

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you icon_redface.gif ... and... You're welcome...

I was having trouble wrapping my mind around how to fondant over the whole book, too... I was relieved when DS said buttercream. Those pieces of fondant peeled right off. I'm all about creating an illusion to not have to do something more difficult.

Having the actual book to use as inspiration really helped. Mine isn't an exact replica, but the elements I chose were good enough to tell what I was going for. DS loved it.

What kind of book are you doing? Will you be able to have the real book to use as inspiration, or is that important? Inquiring minds want to know. *lol*

MissRobin Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 7

I am doing a Sherlock Holmes book and I don't have this particular book to look at, except on the internet!! There was a post a long time ago about the board on the bottom and the wrapping of fondant, I will try to find it and reread it, maybe something will click. I know that some people also, carve the cake to look like the cover, I am just not sure what is the best method. Looking for something that will be easy and look good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%