Omgoodness.... I Think I'm Over My Head...help!

Business By JenWhitlock Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 3:27am by summernoelle

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:04am
post #1 of 5

I have been struggling with the whole cake business deal for some time now.
it seems to me that I can not afford to rent a commercial kitchen at a parttime schedule and thus be legal. the only way that I think the business model works for me is to be a fulltime baker. unfortunately, I do not want to be fulltime yet - I have one child in afternoon kindergarten and another still at home (preschool next fall).
don't hate me, but for now I am comfortable baking (paid) for family and friends.

here's the issue.
I just got an email from a lady working with my daughter's school, she wants to consider me for her daughter's wedding cake.
'eek-run away' is what runs though my head
and Leahs saying... 'get legal or go home' icon_cry.gif

it's not that I don't understand tiered construction, a wedding just seems like too much pressure, and I worry about the whole legal issue...
(after the kids go to school, then I think I can get serious and want to do weddings, especially to better my profit margin)

I think that I should say no, but do you have any suggestions as to how to phrase it?

4 replies
trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:08am
post #2 of 5

Tell her "I would love to do it and take on the challenge, but right now I do not have my licensed and it is illegal for me to sell my cakes. I'm sorry." Be honest and up front. Honesty usually works the best. Before I got my license I told a few people that and they totally understand. HTH.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:12am
post #3 of 5

Thank her for thinking of you, but let her know that you are not available to do the cake. As someone said on another thread similar to this (and I think it was leahs), you don't have to explain any details, just politely decline.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:21am
post #4 of 5

Thank you both!
I will likely thank her and politely decline (it is very flattering to be considered!!!)

she does know that I'm not legal.
I tell my friends that upfront, and explained that in detail to the ladies at school (I'm doing a couple charity donations).

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:27am
post #5 of 5

Always go with what your instincts tell you. Your gut told you to run away, so I would listen to that, and trust yourself!

*Edited to say: Your work is just exquisite! I've never come across you before here, but you have a real talent. Wow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%