Australian Recipes For Butter Cream

Baking By ahilto03 Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 9:26am by roweeena

ahilto03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahilto03 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 6

I love this website. But, because I am Australian, I have great difficulty using the recepies I have found and would love to try them out on here. Does anyone have a Aussie proof recipe for Butter Cream, or can anyone translate an American recipe for me??? Many Thanks Anita.

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:59am
post #2 of 6

Hi and Congrats on your 1st post, ahilto03. icon_smile.gif

Converting measurements, etc.:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-617906-.html

There's also conversion help in the CC recipes section:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipes_file-converter.html

Did you have a particular recipe in mind?

HTH

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:06am
post #3 of 6

Hi,

I use a modified version of the Whimsical Bakehouse buttercream recipe with Copha as the vegetable shortening. I also increase the butter so it's half butter and half Copha.

This gives a nice white and holds up well to the heat and humidity. Can't leave it out on a 40C+ day of course but it doesn't turn into a puddle either.

pyjamagirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pyjamagirl Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:46am
post #4 of 6

icon_redface.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:56am
post #5 of 6

I wish i could find one that doesn't end up gritty - icon_cry.gif
Have used both the wisk and paddle attachments on my KA - added things slowly - used good copfa - but still get that gritty feeling.
And to be honest - i just don't like presenting a cake to a paying customer knowing that they will taste the grit also.

But as soon as i find the perfect BC - i will shout it to the world - icon_lol.gif

Next mission is to try the Italian BC - hopefully that is smooth and creamy.......minus the grit.

Bh icon_smile.gif

roweeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roweeena Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:26am
post #6 of 6

If you are finding it gritty, beat your butter until it is really white first then add your icing sugar in small doses. When you think it wont take any more sugar add a teaspoon of boiling water. then keep going.

I can get 500g or more into 250 grams of butter doing it this way. It takes a long time and it is best to use your paddle attachment, but this works for me every time.

You will never get a completely smooth buttercream this way but its a good buttercream for kids cakes and for under fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%