Bridgeless Stringwork

Decorating By mkm25 Updated 6 May 2009 , 6:08pm by mkm25

mkm25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkm25 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know how to do stringwork without first creating a bridge? I am also interested in learning how to do a floating collar if anyone can help me with that! Thanks!

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 8

I've seen some done by inserting pins into the cake at even intervals, and running a RI string from pin to pin, allowing it to dip slightly between. When that dries, pipe strings from the cake out to the first string. Make each interval small and even. Once everything has dried, you can remove the pins.

Floating collars I've seen in Nick Lodge's books. I have all 3 downstairs, but it might be better if you can find one....there's lots of pictures you'll want to see, and I don't have a scanner, or I'd share.

mkm25 Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 8

Karateka, thanks a lot for your help! That's the same advice another of my cake decorating friends gave me! I tried the bridgeless stringwork on a cake for a competition in February and took Best of Show in the amateur division so it must not have been too bad! haha!

I'll definitely check out Nick's floating collars. Thanks again!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 8

I saw a demo a while back where it was done with stamens. Instead of the pins that gets removed, you poke a headless stamen into the cake and do your stringwork on that. It then stays in tha cake, so no fear of damaging the string when you pull the pin out.
Hope this makes sense!!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 8

Got a picture?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 8

WOW - I just checked your pics out Mkm and those don't look like amateur division at all to me - very nice!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkm25 Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks, Loucinda! I really believe that anyone with a good tutorial, good icing, and PATIENCE can be successfull at stringwork!

Riana, thanks for the awesome tutorial! If anyone needs any more hints, I'd be glad to share mine if you email or PM me. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%