Black Bleeding Into White Chocolate, Help!

Sugar Work By chilz822 Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 1:56am by kellycat102938

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:24am
post #1 of 6

Hello all,
This is my first time posting in this area, I'm reaching out for help! icon_smile.gif

I'm in the middle of creating the pieces for an upcoming Alice in Wonderland cake. The bottles, mushrooms, pocketwatch, etc, I've made from fondant/paste and candy molds. They're great. I'm completely stuck on the playing cards. I have a simple card mold, has the suit symbol in the middle and the corresponding J,Q,K,A in the corners. I molded them out of fondant but they look 'pained' (which they were!). Sooo I melted some choc bark, colored it black with candy colors and attempted the spade.
Problem #1 - I can't seem to get the choc in the lettered section (Ace of Spades) without getting it into the section that should be white and contaminating it with the black.
Problem #2 - When I got the black spade symbol filled and dried, poured the white on top, the black bled.

It's a simple basic playing card, should I really be having this much trouble with it??

Shew! Help! Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

5 replies
kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 6

I don't have an answer for you but I can tell you what I did when I needed to make playing cards. I made the card shapes out of fondant/gum paste (50/50) then had some edible images made of the cards I wanted to use and placed them on the "fondant cards" by brushing a little clear piping gel on them and them placing the edible image on top.

chilz822 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 6

Oh now there's something I never though of! Where did you get the images made? Did you just take in the image of a regular playing card? I've never tried edible images before and have no idea!

icon_smile.gif

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, just take the cards to a place that prints off edible images. The shop I work at does that so I lucked out. Edible Images can be made while you wait. I'm surprised at the number of customers that come in the shop and think they have to drop there picture of and come back at a later date to pick up their edible image.

chilz822 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:01am
post #5 of 6

That makes 3 completely new and amazing things I've learned today from you all. I'm in awe that there is so much information here and the folks are so friendly and willing to help, I can't express my gratitude enough...

Thank you so much!

kellycat102938 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellycat102938 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:56am
post #6 of 6

Hi, once you fill the the black spade, you can put this in the freezer for 10 mins before starting the white. hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%