$$ Difference On A Scupted Cake And Q's About Rkt

Decorating By nisha_ru Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 3:36am by TooMuchCake

nisha_ru Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 9

I have a request for a sculpted cake - I've never sold one before and am wondering how much higher than a regular sheet/round/square cake others charge?

Also, It's for a unicorn cake. Any suggestions on the nose? I saw one in the gallery that said they used RKT and I'm wondering how you would attach that?

Here's the one from the gallery

8 replies
costumeczar Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:28am
post #2 of 9

My 3-D cakes start at $150 and go up from there depending on how long it will take. That one might be more due to the neck and the structure/supports that you'll need to build for it. I think that I'd just make the horn out of gumpaste ahead of time and attach it to a long dowel that goes through the neck, maybe??

cylstrial Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 9

I was thinking the same thing about the horn being used as a dowel for the neck. Then you could form the RKT around the dowel rod.

Good luck!!

nisha_ru Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 9

What about attaching the head to the body? that's what I'm trying to figure out!

costumeczar Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 9

I'd probably make the head out of RKT, just because it looks like it's bending down a little. I've done dog heads out of cake with a board that's supported by dowels in the neck, but that unicorn neck is skinnier than a short dog neck.

Maybe the neck could be a stack of 6" rounds, and the head could be supported on a board and dowelled through the neck also.

OR you could just make the whole neck and head out of RKT also.

keepsake Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:59am
post #6 of 9

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is RKT?

TooMuchCake Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:09am
post #7 of 9

Keepsake, RKT is shorthand for Rice Krispie Treats.

Nisha_ru, you've got a lot of good advice for making the head and neck, so I'll just mention a bit on the pricing.... I charge about triple for sculpted cakes than for regular cakes, but in the case of the unicorn, I'd charge a lot more because you'll need some additional internal structure and care for the rather unstable nature of the neck and head. Perhaps as much as 5x normal price.

mooj Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:26am
post #8 of 9

I'm so glad I ran across this string of posts. I am having the same dilemma.. how to price my 3D cakes. Does anyone factor the number of servings into the price equation - do you have a standard price per serving that you use to figure the 3X rate for a sculpted cake or do you just base the price on the amount of time it takes to make it?

TooMuchCake Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:36am
post #9 of 9

Mooj, you'll probably get a lot of responses to your question about servings vs. other methods of figuring prices.

Personally, I charge by the serving. I do a lot of sculptures, and I am pretty good at estimating the number of servings and minimize waste as much as possible. (Don't just bake a big sheet cake and hack away at it - plan ahead, make sketches if you need to, and bake cake as close as possible to the finished size.) If a cake is going to take a LOT of extra work, above and beyond a "normal" sculpted cake, the price goes up. In my area, and for my clients, I start regular cakes around $1.50/serving and start sculptures at around $5/serving.

Sculpting takes practice, and when you've made a few sculptures - even if you practice by making the same cake several times - you'll start to see how long it takes you to make them relative to regular cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%