Have You Ever Noticed...

Decorating By need2sleep Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 4:25pm by need2sleep

need2sleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
need2sleep Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 30

That when you are in the middle of doing a cake, your kids absolutely positively need you in that exact moment!! icon_cry.gif Once you walk away from them, they need you again icon_mad.gif ...I always laugh after I'm done. icon_rolleyes.gif But I have come to the conclusion that it is my kids fault it takes me forever to finish a cake... icon_confused.gif I guess that's life in the kiddie lane! dunce.gif

29 replies
wasabi106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wasabi106 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 30

It's not just cakes. My kids will go hours without needing anythingbut as soon as I start something they both need something at once. They somehow just know when I am the busiest. The are also learning though if mommy is in the kitchen to stay out or find dad. icon_wink.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 30

Seriously, I thought I was the only one. I have a 2 year old and I really think that the easiest cake possible would still take me at least 4-6 hours ONLY because she won't leave me alone when I have a cake to do.

any other time of the day, she could play, watch TV, what ever for hours on end and not need a thing from me, UNTIL I go in to the kitchen to make a cake!

DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!

When I have a really big "important" cake, I make my husband take her out of the house! Its a good thing I only do this for F&F (friends and family)!!!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 30

icon_cry.gif They alway seem to be happily playing by themselves until (a) you sit down and try to get a little "me" time, or (b) you need to roll out fondant.

Mine are 2 and 4 so I do my fondant work when they go to bed and after I've put my feet up for a bit. Typically I don't start 'til 10pm and go to bed by 2am, but only two days per week. I have been known to pull all-nighters, though.

wasabi106 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 30

Mine are 8 & 11 and trust me it doesn't get any better as they get older. I know what you mean though my two will play for hours , want nothing to do with me, but as soon as I start something they come running. I try and remind my self that one day they won't need me, to take it while I can- even if it is a TERRIBLE time. I actually get all of my best work done when they are in bed. It is good for me I am a night owl!

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 30

Wait until their older (mine are 11 & 15). Even though I have told them lots of time not to bother me or even come in the kitchen when I'm working on a cake, I still hear "Mommmm, can we have some icing?" "Mommmm, can we have the scraps?" Ugh!! Kids....gotta luv'em! icon_cry.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 30

lol.....

I am the opposite.. it's my parents who come looking for me or HAVE to be in the kitchen when I am....

gotta love em tho!

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 30

My husband is the one that keeps me from getting much done. After I have rolled out and cut cookies, I will notice a whole raw cookie is missing. He has come in, snatched it, and eaten it. Does he now know that I count EVERY single cookie I cut to make sure there is enough?!?! He even likes to eat raw cake batter. I have heard my two boys (10 and 13) to tell him to go steal them some too. They have learned better, but that BIG BOY of mine has yet to learn his lesson! icon_confused.gif

sarand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarand Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 30

lol... my kids are 21 and 24 and wont leave me alone when im doing a cake... So im sorry girls it does not get any easier....

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 30

I was just saying to someone yesterday that I have no idea how long it actually takes me, from start to finish, to complete a cake....it's constant stopping to get them a drink, something to eat, change the channel, break up a fight...I'm sure it would take half the time if I didn't have "kid distractions!"

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 30

At least someone understands why I wait until 9PM to start decorating my cakes! icon_smile.gif My husband thinks I'm nuts, but I know better....

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:50pm
post #12 of 30

LOL, glad to hear I'm not the only one!!! I still haven't mastered the whole staying up late to finish a cake thing....I'm too pooped the next day! I've sort of decided that no cake will get my "full" attention until the kids grow up & move out! LOL!!

wasabi106 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:54pm
post #13 of 30

I am lucky my husband doesn't care much for the icing but he does like to come it and watch. I think he is a closet cake decorator. icon_biggrin.gif I am new and still learning so he comes in handy helping me roll out fondant & getting the big pieces on the cakes. We just have to wait until the kids go to bed. icon_wink.gif

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:55pm
post #14 of 30

I go through the same thing! I made some muffins with frosting for breakfast yesterday and started at 9 and didn't finish until 1 icon_sad.gif

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:00pm
post #15 of 30

It's not just caking, and it's not just kids.

I've come up with a well-researched theory. If I want to read before bed, it'll take my husband 30 seconds to get ready for bed. If I'm waiting on him for sex or sleep, it's ten minutes minimum.

flourgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgirlz Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm
post #16 of 30

So it isn't just my kids! My oldest, 13, pretty much leaves me alone. My 7 year old has to be by my side asking every question under the sun. I then try to hurry up and get done with the cake, which is probably why I have yet to post any pictures of my cakes!!!

I also love it when I am in the kitchen getting a snack or something to drink, then sit down to relax a little. That's when my son decides he wants something to drink too, even though he saw me in the refrigerator 5 seconds earlier! Oh how boring my life would be without kids! icon_rolleyes.gif

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:03pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasmama

It's not just caking, and it's not just kids.

I've come up with a well-researched theory. If I want to read before bed, it'll take my husband 30 seconds to get ready for bed. If I'm waiting on him for sex or sleep, it's ten minutes minimum.

LMAO!!!! icon_lol.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:08pm
post #18 of 30

I really want to rent kitchen space and i'm trying to do some budgeting, but I have NO IDEA how long to budget for a kitchen!!! I could probably whip through a cake in no time without having to listen to "mama ..... mama ...... mama play ..... mama ....... mama.... mama..mama..mama..mama.mama.MAMAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:18pm
post #19 of 30

Today...one of those days. I adore my kids, but, today I need a sitter!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:29pm
post #20 of 30

my son loves to see everything out, hes only two, so anything thats new or shiny . . is amazing for him! my very first cake. . to be taken to a christening, i was mixing up a batch of BC, with my back turned on the bottom tier of the cake . . . 2mins later, i turn round . . he was sat on the table, eating the fondant of the cake. I havent allowed him in the kitchen since if im doing a cake lol! i try to scheudle it round when my husband isnt at work otherwise notthing will get done lol

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:03pm
post #21 of 30

My 4 yr old daughter has actually figured out how to turn it into a bonding moment. After a lay my 2 yr old son down for a nap and tell her that I need to work on a cake, she asks me to get out her Play Doh; she rolls hers out and cuts out shapes across the table from me - on a good day.

I toss her the occasioanal scrap for being such a good dog...uh, girl, I meant girl!

Other days I thank my FIL for getting her a learning game that she can play on the computer with it's own keyboard and mouse. She'll play with that for an hour or more! But she knows how to print her pictures out, so we tend to go through ink, lol.

I, too, love to work alone at night, but gawd how I hate how I feel the next morning when I'm up after a few hours sleep my littlest one. DH is no help at all in the kid department!

need2sleep Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:29pm
post #22 of 30

Yes I agree. They are little flies around me at the exact moment I need to do something, or just take a moment. I just finished a cake for my sister's bday today...I started thsi morning at 9 a.m. Oh my goodness. My 4 year old and 2 year old love to duke it out when my hands are full of icing. And when I'm not looking my 2 year old climbs the stool to stick his little fingers in the icing. I found teeth marks on one my tips a while back. My two older boys are the same. They love to steal the icing.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. Each entry I read reminded me of my twirps and made me laugh so much.

Oh, and the sex thing is soooo true...unless I have a headache!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:34pm
post #23 of 30

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif My 2 are both away at college now, I used to long for these days, now I long for those again icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:58pm
post #24 of 30

I'm glad to see it's the same all over! My husband calls it radar, whenever we want to have 'alone' time......there goes the radar. With cakes too, my daughter is 8 and she just really really wants to help, and my son is 14. I've been making roses away and he'll sit and talk to me, but eating every rose as I put them down!! Then he's like, oh oops, did you need those!?!

need2sleep Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:30pm
post #25 of 30

dkelly27 - my mom says that's going to happen to us one day. Til then I guess I'll just take six hours each day for three days to finish a cake.

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:57pm
post #26 of 30

Well, my two boys are in the kitchen right now licking the beaters from the icing and all I could do was think about this discussion. They are 10 and 13 and told me they want to help. icon_surprised.gif I do let them help mix the cookie dough, roll and cut out. They have actually become pretty good at that. Since we have guides, they are sure to get the right thickness and I just tell them how many of each cutter we need.

I really enjoy the time together in the kitchen with no TV, friends, or video games. I think it helps the communication process and I keep in touch with them and their lives!

I too have said that it takes longer with them but in all reality I wouldn't change it for the world! icon_biggrin.gif

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:12am
post #27 of 30

I wish it were my kids .... they've finally grown up to be more of a help than distraction. My biggest problem is customers (a good problem to have i guess!). It never fails....I can sit in the store with nothing to do (well, there's always CC!!!!) for hours waiting for a customer - AS SOON AS I start a cake or cookies a customer will come in. I can't tell you how many batches of cookies have stayed in the oven a little too long because of this...! Oh well....could be worse. icon_smile.gif

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:37am
post #28 of 30

Ladies,

I hate to tell you this but there will come a day when you wish you had your little ones under your feet again. My kids are 33 and 26 and long gone from my nest. Whenever I do a cake, I have only myself for company (my DH is usually on the computer playing a game or asleep). I remember the days when I couldn't do anything hobby wise because of kids under foot and I would go back there in a heart beat given the chance. You know what they say - careful what you wish for. I try to tell my daughter that when she is complaining about my 2 grandaughters getting in her way but she doesn't believe me.

toricp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toricp Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 8:41am
post #29 of 30

I have 3 girls-11, 5, and 3(in a few weeks). I am a SAHM. I try to get as much done while the older ones are at school. Never enough time. Natali, the baby has to be on the counter "helping". She is obsessed with cooking! (don't know where she gets it from lol) When it is just her, most of the time things go smoothly, when the older 2 get home, the boxing gloves go on. They stop fighting lon enough to see what I made. When I turn off the mixer, they come running. Can we have some, PLEASE PLEASE? Then thet fight over who is gonna get what. My grown sister is the same way. My husband, well he licks the bowls too! The cutest thing happened a while back and I guess I started this. They all were fight ing over the icing and I made them line up. I piped it into their mouths like a momma bird (after I was done with the cake). That to me was just too cute all 3 girls standing there with their heads back and mouths wide open. I am a night owl too and the other night, I was decorating a cake with my mp3 player. My husband walked in a caught me dancing all ovr the kitchen to NKOTB. I have yet to live that one down. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I'll be the first to tell ya, my family drives me crazy, but without them , I would not be MOM, so I try to enjoy it while I can. icon_biggrin.gif

need2sleep Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:25pm
post #30 of 30

Yes I agree! Without my four rugrats pulling on me 24/7, I probably would have never even started doing cakes. They were the reason. I started making their birthday cakes and as time passed I got better and now I just love doing them. I admit though, I still need practice, and they are more than happy to be my guinea pigs. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%