Opinion On Wilton's Ready-To-Use Icing Tubes

Decorating By Meagazz Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm by evasmama

Meagazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meagazz Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!

I am making a FBCT for a cake and I was wondering what people think of the Wilton's ready-to-use icing...? I was planning to do almost all of my FBCT in buttercream, however, I was thinking that using Wilton's black icing for the outline would be a little bit easier than me making black icing (I'd rather pay the $3 than make black! Haha).

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it will hold up nicely on my FBCT because the whole this is going to be frozen anyways...?

Have you ever used this icing for one before and if so, how was your experience? Especially if you used it on a FBCT.

Thanks everyone!

Meagazz

5 replies
KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 6

Hi--I have used the Wilton Ready To Use Black several times. I really like to have it on hand, as I don't always want to make black, either. It keeps well in the fridge for several weeks after you open it. I've had really good luck w/ it (good color, no bleeding into other colors).

I haven't had the opportunity to try a FBCT yet--but think it would probably work fine. Hopefully, someone else can help you w/ that part, as I would like to know, too!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 6

I have found the icing to be a bit thick and I wonder if it would be hard to get fine details with it?

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 6

I've used the black for FBCT's and it's always worked out fine. I hate making black. Unless I need a lot of it, I'll always pony up the cash for the Wilton.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 6

I have used the black for the frozen butter cream transfers on numerous occasions. It works great and is not too thick for even the small details. You can also used canned frosting and add black coloring to it. The rest I'd do in home-made bc as I'm not that crazy about the taste of the tubes.
A Hannah Montana I did recently is pictured below.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1292426.html

edited to add: YES, black Wilton tube freezes beautifully. Canned frosting does not set up as well as Wilton.

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 6

Wilton black will pull off messily when doing FBCT, so I always wind up inverting the transfer, smoothing over the waxed paper with my hands, and then sticking the cake in the freezer for a couple more minutes before peeling. Peel carefully on areas with black.

I've pretty much decided, however, to start using my own. Using dark or black cocoa powder in your chocolate frosting will make a nearly black brown that only requires a tiny bit of gel paste to go full black.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%