Sugarveil

Decorating By sugaah Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm by emilyg

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 5

Do you need to purchase the kit with the pump (approximately $200) to use this product? Could someone explain to me how this stuff works, advantages and disadvantages, and what is the least expensive way to start? THANX

4 replies
Sugarchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarchic Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 5

hi, I don't have a sugarveil but I read on another post that some people just use a piping bag and a small tip or parchement paper bag. Hope that helps.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 5

i just used sugarveil for the first time this morning. No, you don't have to purchase the machine. I got the $50 starter set w/ dvd, 3lbs. sugarveil, and the comb.

I used Tip 1 and found that it was still too big to do the detail that i was doing. I had a hard time keeping it from running out of the tip, and occasionally it would flow out when i didn't want it to and make little whispy icing lines. it's also very sticky stuff because of the egg white powder in it.

i only made 1 cup recipe, but it was waaay too much then what i needed it for. i hope it keeps in the fridge until i need it next.

i would/will use it again.

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:02am
post #4 of 5

Plz keep this discussion going.

I promised my cake supplier I would do a draped Barbie and Ken, as bride and groom for display.

I would love to use products and techniques that aren't offered at the store. The owner agrees with this idea; it should benefit both of us.

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 5

Hi Niccicola, Place your piping bag in the fridge for 30 minutes or so if you would like SugarVeil to be a firmer consistency. The lines will be more dimensional, and will set that way.

HowCoolgomo, you may want to take a look at some of the articles on our site at www.sugarveil.com for instructional info. We just now posted an article showing how to make striped bows at http://www.sugarveil.com/information/magazines.htm - under the "SugarVeiling" article. Also, you might want to index some of my other posts thru the last months - I added a few points that are not on our site. And a parchment cone/piping bag is just fine for using SugarVeil - use a very small tip. Our 45 minute DVD is really helpful to see lots of SugarVeil techniques. Please let me know if I can answer any questions for you at any time. My email is "art" at SugarVeil.com. Thanks!! emilyg at SugarVeil

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%