Edible Paint On Fodant..help!

Decorating By stresseddesserts Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 12:39am by stresseddesserts

stresseddesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stresseddesserts Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 10

icon_smile.gif Hi all!
I'm new to cakecentral.com and I luv it here and your amazing cakes, ideas and recipes!

I have just one problem... I want to paint on fondant but don't know what to use so Fondant won't crack. I've used food color gels with lemon extract... the color never dries and comes off. PLEASE share any tips.

Edible paint recipe? icon_biggrin.gif

thanks,
Jane

9 replies
something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 10

I have not tried it personally but I have heard many people recommend air brushing paints.

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 10

airbrush color works best... I find the gell never dries also.

stresseddesserts Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:11am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestthing

I have not tried it personally but I have heard many people recommend air brushing paints.

Okay, I thought I was the only one... I will def try that!
Thanks for the fast reply..

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:12am
post #5 of 10

when I have painted I use the luster/petal dusts mixed with clear alcohol or if I am only doing a little (and don't have alcohol) I use a bit of almond extract. I haven't mixed with proper colours before though.

If you use alcohol it evaporates so the colour dries quickly.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:17am
post #6 of 10

In my pics, I painted white fondant a dark navy blue for my blue jean cakes. I used wilton gel color and vodka. I was at a cake shop and the owner said..ever clear is better because it drys faster.

I think most times when the color runs off..i have thinned the color too much with vodka.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:19am
post #7 of 10

I have painted on fondant using gel color and vodka. It does dry, but it takes a while. Use a teeny tiny bit of coloring in the vodka. It may appear transulcent, but often darkens up after it dries. If it's still not dark enough, do a second coat. It's much better to do multiple thin coats because the higher vodka amount will make it dry. Plus, you only want to paint on things that are small or delicate. If you are trying to cover a large area, it's better just to color the fondant first instead of using the white fondant and then painting it.

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:23am
post #8 of 10

I've used gels, paste and dust. I mix them with Vodka or Everclear. They have dried just fine. My rat in the trap cake used a variety of pastes and dusts and never got sticky even in the FL humidity. I dream of getting an air brush to get more professional results! Have fun!

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:32am
post #9 of 10

I always use gel color and vodka. It dries just fine. I absolutely love painting on cakes. I find a reason to paint all of them now icon_smile.gif .

stresseddesserts Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:39am
post #10 of 10

I appreciate all the tips! I messed up my cake icon_cry.gif I painted my whole entire cake and then painted leopard prints on.. my cake started 2 crack..lol. I told evey1 that I used wilton fondant thumbsdown.gif (My first fondant cake) I still got away with it though..My Friends -->> "WHOA! did u really make that...lol... I would like to set up photos but, will not upload.. I'll try again.

Once again icon_smile.gif Thank u!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%