Topsy Turvy Problems - Help With Issues For Upcoming Wedding

Decorating By amy2197 Updated 28 Jun 2011 , 12:32am by josefina20

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 9:42pm
post #31 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakelady

So is it the hole weakening the sides? Or, is it the carved sides and the dowels coming so close to the sides. I just gave a try with a tier because I pplan to do this cake in less than two weeks. I found my sides to crack as well...

When you say you do it with a 5" difference now, what sized cakes are you using, for say, a three tiered cake?

The hole would cause the wall surrounding it to crack if the cake was just a tad too large for the hole. If the cake was too, small, you'd have a gap to hide.

I don't bother with the hole anymore and I can't understand why anyone would. The angles are just not so great to cause a tier to fall, especially when there are dowels hammered through the structure. I don't even put a dab of piping gel between my tiers anymore because they stick just fine to the fondant underneath.

For a 5 inch difference on a 3 tier cake, the top tier would be 4"5"6", middle 7"8"9", bottom 10"11"12".

But it depends on how much decor you will be using. This one had a 4" difference between tiers and I like how it looks (it's not a topsy though, I just tapered the sides).

They don't even carve that hole on cake challenges with 3 foot tall cakes!
LL

cakecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecakelady Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 10:04pm
post #32 of 105

MacsMom-
that cake is gorgeous!!

This will be my first whimsy cake. I had planned to do it in fondant until I read it would be ok to do in buttercream. After reading that, I had hoped to do it in buttercream without covering it in fondant. I have only done one fondant covered cake before. Plus, up to this point, I have used plastic separator plates, so the idea of a wooden dowel through all three tiers is both daunting and impossible unless I switch to cardboard boards.

Although I had done lts of homework researching these cakes up to this point, now I am concerned how to get this wedding cake done without the sides cracking open.

MacsMom Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:10pm
post #33 of 105
Quote:

MacsMom-
that cake is gorgeous!!

This will be my first whimsy cake. I had planned to do it in fondant until I read it would be ok to do in buttercream. After reading that, I had hoped to do it in buttercream without covering it in fondant. I have only done one fondant covered cake before. Plus, up to this point, I have used plastic separator plates, so the idea of a wooden dowel through all three tiers is both daunting and impossible unless I switch to cardboard boards.

Thank you!

I use foam core boards. I learned about those through Colette Peters books, and Duff uses them, too. They are easy to cut with a serrated knife--I just trace a larger cake pan for a template. For the base board I glue 2 or 3 together, depending on the size/weight of the cake.

They go on sale at Michaels for $1 each and you can cut several circles from one sheet - can't beat the price! And yes, Colette even states that "you can find them in the crafts aisle", so if they are up to her standards (and Duff's) then I am not worried anyone bringing up food-safe issues.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:16pm
post #34 of 105

Hmm...that foam core board is a really good idea!!! I will have to try that soon!! AFTER we get settled after our move!!! icon_smile.gif

MacsMom, that is a GORGEOUS cake!!! LOOOOOVE IT!! icon_biggrin.gif

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 11:17pm
post #35 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Quote:

MacsMom-
that cake is gorgeous!!

Thank you!

I use foam core boards. I learned about those through Colette Peters books, and Duff uses them, too. They are easy to cut with a serrated knife--I just trace a larger cake pan for a template. For the base board I glue 2 or 3 together, depending on the size/weight of the cake.

They go on sale at Michaels for $1 each and you can cut several circles from one sheet - can't beat the price! And yes, Colette even states that "you can find them in the crafts aisle", so if they are up to her standards (and Duff's) then I am not worried anyone bringing up food-safe issues.

Thanks for the tip on where to find the foam core boards...love your ideas MacsMom...

cakecakelady Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 4:05am
post #36 of 105

So, if I am understanding correctly, MacsMom, (and please correct me if I have misunderstood)
You are suggesting placing each tier on foam core so that the sharpened dowel can go through each tier and into the bottom base plate. Do you cover the foam core with FDA approved foil or paper or not?
Also, you are suggesting NOT to use the cut-hole method, but place each tier on top of the other tier, doweled, of course, using the crooked method posted in the "sticky note" I understood that one dowel is positioned down the center to keep cake from sliding, but how do you set the lengths for the dowels under the cake?
Now, if all of this is correct, I think I read somewhere that the tiers should also be covered in fondant. That this would not work well with buttercream. Is that true? My preference is to use buttercream and not fondant.
Thanks again for your input!

MacsMom Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #37 of 105

Hmmm... How can I answer that....

I use foam core board as cake circles. No, I don't cover them and neither does Colette (she only covers her base board). If she mentions that in her books and FDA has never bothered her, why would I worry?

I use bubble tea straws instead of dowels because you can just cut them off at the top of the cake. They support well as long as you use enough of them (not a good idea to put just 3 of them under a 12" cake, in other words). So, carve cake, crumbcoat, cover in fondant IF using, insert straws, cut them level to top of cake - at the same angle as the cake.

Stack the next prepared tier on top, turning it to the position you like best (high sides of each tier opposite each other or slightly askew look best). Do the straw thing again if there will be a third tier, and so forth.

Your basically stacking the cake exactly like you would any other tiered cake.

Now, I use 3 or 4 foam core boards glued together as my base board so I can hammer the center dowel (or two) all the way INTO the foam core base. It holds them steady so the the weight of the cake isn't likely to force the center dowel(s) to one side if someone slams on the brakes during delivery--or whatever icon_surprised.gif . So the center dowel(s) will go through each tier's foam cake circle and the base board.

Buttercream doesn't damage the foam core board. The only reason I can fathom not to use buttercream for topsy's would be if you are worried about bits of foam core sticking to the buttercream from the area where the dowels will penetrate.

Otherwise, there is no reason you wouldn't be able to use buttercream as long as your filling is thick so the torted layers don't slip.

Here's another trick I do: Cut a wedge from the underside of each upper tier (not the bottom tier). That way, when it is placed on top of the tier beneath, not only does it keep it from jutting out to the side, but it creates a flat surface for the fillings. It's hard to describe.

cakecakelady Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:37pm
post #38 of 105

This all sounds good. I did read elsewhere that melted white chocolate over the bubble straw area before placing the above tier on will help keep it in place. Together with the dowels connecting cakes, that should keep the cake together even if it is iced in buttercream, right? My fear is that a tier would slip and pull the chocolate with it off of the buttercream. But with dowels connecting the tiers that shouldn't happen.

So, if bubble straws are inside the cake, How do you make sure the dowel rods hammered in don't hit the bubble straws?

Sarsi Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 10:40pm
post #39 of 105

what are bubble straws???

MacsMom Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:09pm
post #40 of 105
Quote:

So, if bubble straws are inside the cake, How do you make sure the dowel rods hammered in don't hit the bubble straws?

Thanks for the white chocolate tip!

I just think ahead. I usually use 2 dowels because not only does it make the cake more stable, but I can count on them not coming into contact with a center support dowel.

If I am only using one dowel, then the cake is small enough that I only need a ring of 5 or 6 straws and not a center support, so the dowel can go right through the middle.

cakecakelady Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:19pm
post #41 of 105

One more question (ok , two)

How on earth does someone take a cake like this apart when it has been set up with the bubble tea straws and cakes on a tilt? I am seriously buying into this now, but need to know how to direct for serving.

Also, what diameter dowel rods are you sending through the cakes to keep them from slipping side to side?

Also, Google bubble tea straws and you will see what they are referring to.

thanks again
you guys are the best!

Sarsi Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:20pm
post #42 of 105

What ARE bubble straws??? Those little coffee stirer straws or what??? icon_sad.gif

cakecakelady Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:23pm
post #43 of 105

Bubble tea straws are thick in diameter (maybe a little less than 1/2 inch- I dont have one here to measure), but easily cut with scissors. I googled them and noticed that they are what they serve at the coffee house when I order a fru-fru frozen drink.

MacsMom Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:28pm
post #44 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsi

What ARE bubble straws??? Those little coffee stirer straws or what??? icon_sad.gif

"Bubble tea" has big tapioca pearls in it, or coconut jelly stuff, so the straws have a large diameter so you can suck up the bits. You can buy them online - they are inexpensive.

Sarsi Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:35pm
post #45 of 105

oh...strange...I'll have to look them up. I've never heard of anything like that before!

cakecakelady Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:37pm
post #46 of 105

So, how does someone at the reception take a cake apart that has wooden dowels hammered through the cakes?

MacsMom Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #47 of 105
Quote:

One more question (ok , two)

How on earth does someone take a cake like this apart when it has been set up with the bubble tea straws and cakes on a tilt? I am seriously buying into this now, but need to know how to direct for serving.

Also, what diameter dowel rods are you sending through the cakes to keep them from slipping side to side?

It's the same as any tiered cake. It isn't crooked, it just looks crooked. You can either lift the top tier over the center dowel, then remove the dowel to remove remaining tiers, or you can just slice the cake fully assembled.

Don't slice it in wedges, though. You'll slice one edge off and discard it (or feed it to a curious child), then slice a grid of rectangle pieces, like a wedding cake.

Here is Earlene's guide
http://www.earlenescakes.com/cakeservinst.htm

cakecakelady Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 11:57pm
post #48 of 105

Macsmom,
If we aren;t using the "hole" method, then aren't the tiers stacked kind of crooked? Unless you do it differently than Sarsi.....
Do explain icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:02am
post #49 of 105

Not when you take them off. If you are removing them to slice them, there is just the slant on top. The cake is tapered evenly all around, not sideways.

If you aren't removing the tiers to slice, they aren't going to fall as you slice. Cut, place on plate, etc.

cakecakelady Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:17am
post #50 of 105

macsmom-
ohhhhhh icon_smile.gif I get ya!

cakecakelady Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:36am
post #51 of 105

Ok, I have a plan (Finally!) if you ladies could help me perfect it.

I will either go with a 6-9-12 or 6-10-14 depending on what you ladies think, Sarsi and Macsmom

Macsmom- I LOVE the way you carve your tiers, but since I will not be covering in fondant, only icing in buttercream, the carving inward adds to the instability of the sides and possible cracking

So, I think I will keep the sides straight and unsloped (like on Sarsi's) and rely on the "No Hole" stacking method to give the illusion of the sloped sides.

Maybe, just maybe, I will slope the bottom tier in just a bit.

I will cut foam core to fit the bottom of each layer, and use bubble straws for support. I can use piping gel, royal icing, or melted chocolate to attach each tier to the next. I will use 2? 3? 1/4 inch dowel rods down the center to keep from sliding. For support, I will use the bubble straws that are cut on angles to match the sloping of each cake top.

I will call ahead to the reception hall to make arrangements to assemble at the hall. It is 45 minutes away!

Which size do you think I am better off with? 6-9-12 or 6-10-14?

MacsMom Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 12:47am
post #52 of 105

If there will be a fairly big border or flowers(whatever) around the tiers, I'd go with the 6,10,14.

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 7:47am
post #53 of 105

I have a dumb question. If you're making the bottom layer (for example) 6,7,8, do you bake a 6 inch cake, a 7 inch cake, and an 8 inch cake, or just bake 3 8-inch cakes and carve into smaller circular cakes? THANK YOU

MacsMom Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 2:43pm
post #54 of 105

Bake a 6,7,8" It's easier to guide the size and less cake waste.

cakecakelady Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:09pm
post #55 of 105

Sarsi,
I was wondering, on your chocolate topsy turvy cake, how you got your bottom layer to look like the sides were angled since you don;t usually angle in your sides?

I was also wondering if on that bottom tier(when you split the layer diagonally), to make the sides look angled, to put one wedge under the bottom of the cake and the other wedge on the top? That would make the whole cake look tilted to one side...have you ever done anything like that?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm
post #56 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy2197

Thanks for all the tips guys. I definetly don't like carving the hole out anymore. I am sure that is what weakened my sides and caused the cracks!

The sides of the cake only weakens when the top one is too big for the bottom part or when you push the sides when you are inserting the top cake on top of the hole
Edna

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:33pm
post #57 of 105

Thank you very much!

tonedna Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:36pm
post #58 of 105

Ok..i just did this one yesterday. Is the third time I done this cake. One in fondant, 2 times in buttercream. This one is buttercream. I use the hole method. But if you carve the cake to big at the bottom when you do the hole on the next one, if you are way on the edge it will break your cake.

Even with the fondant swags( wich are heavy) the sides hold. And the cake travels like this.
The tiers are 12, 10, 8 and 6. But this can change depending on the decor of the cake and on expertise.
Hope this helps

Edna thumbs_up.gif
LL

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm
post #59 of 105

Oh Edna, that is just beautiful! Now we need a tutorial of this one icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:46pm
post #60 of 105

Thanks Tiggy!... I design that cake and sometime I regret it. It takes me 6 hours to do it and after the third time you do it, it gets old!.. icon_redface.gif..Although I think is just gorgeous!..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%