Cake Dummie Sizes

Decorating By Becscakes Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 11:47pm by weirkd

Becscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becscakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone, just a quick question...
Im looking at buying a set of cake dummies, but im not sure what sizes i should get. i was thinking a set of 3 but not sure if i need 6", 8" & 10" or maybe bigger ones...

9 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 10

If you want to go with a standard looking cake then do a 14, a 10 and then a 6. You want them to be proportional. If you did a 6 and 8 their too close in size. My opinion!

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 10

Hiya

I'm no expert but they are the sizes I've got and they work ok, I've got a round set, the only thing is they do seem a bit on the small size overall so if you're really going for wow factor maybe go a bit bigger on all of them.

I've also got petal shaped ones and I would avoid those like the plague just been covering some today and it was horrendous, because they are so light and so fiddly it was a nightmare, or maybe it's just me, but I can cover a petal cake no bother at all.

Sorry that probably wasn't that much help. hope somebody else has something to say on the matter icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 10

If you only want to buy 3, the 6/8/10 makes a cute little display cake (this pic is a 6/8/10 dummy: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=439463 )

If you want them available so you can show a bride "here's the size of your cake...", then I'd recommend getting a 6/8/10/12/14 so you can mix'n match.

It never fails .... no matter what I order, I always run out of the size I need for the next dummy cake! icon_eek.gif

Becscakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 10

How high should each one be? this sounds like a silly question but i can only buy these online (i have no shops here that sell anything to do with cake decorating) and the online ones seem to vary between 2.5" to 4" any ideas?

indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 10

a standard tier is 4" tall, so that's all I ever order/use.

weirkd Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 10

Yep, same here Debi! I always want a bride to see what their cake size will look like so I go with the 4" tall. Then for a display I have a four tiered cake for the wow factor. And it makes a good guideline for a bride to see what size their actual cake will be.

Becscakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks guys, ill try and find some in those sizes online icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

.... for the wow factor.

That's what I call my big cake in the window ... it's 6 tiers and I call it the Wow Factor Cake. (Plus it's a great way to illustrate 6 different decorating ideas on one cake! thumbs_up.gif )

weirkd Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 10

Yep! And its easier to point out things. Like the one I have in my space has sugar roses on it. So most people dont realize how realistic they can look. So I tell them to look at the dummy cake behind them and then their like WOW! Its always good to have samples of your work out for them to see. Even if their not on dummys you can show flowers and things that you can do that they might not be aware of!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%