Best Overall Buttercream?

Decorating By Tita9499 Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 5:11am by tonicake

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 16

I want to know you opinion on which BC recipe is the best overall. Least amount of air bubbles (I know that mostly this is the decorators issue), best tasting and ease in use.

15 replies
Tita9499 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 16

Bump this!
I need a recipe soon. I'm too cheap to go with mone...calls for too much butter.

cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 16

Here's what I use:

1 c butter
1 c shortening
1/4 liquid (water or milk), sometimes more; sometimes less
2 t flavoring (vanilla &/or almond)

Blend the above items until smooth.

Gradually add 2 lbs sifted confectioners sugar.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 16

It's all a matter of personal preference.

I like buttercream dream taste wise, and it holds up well.

If you follow sugarshacks recipe, and do it to the proportions that she has listed (consistant with a 5qt mixer) then you will get the smoothest icing with absolutely no air bubbles in sight. It crusts really well too.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 16

Tita...that is a very subjective question...one that you will receive hundreds of opinions. To find my favorite, first, I determined that I wanted a crusting icing. That started the elimination process. Then I decided that I DID want butter, so that narrowed it down some more....then I just started adding extracts to get the flavor I like. I started off in the recipe section here at CC and turned my kitchen into a science lab. Good luck! Deb

Tita9499 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 16

With no intention of offending her, has anyone tasted Sugarshack's recipe? I really want to use that because I see how airless it really is, but with no butter in it I'm concerned about the "mouth feel". I adore her so I really hope that wasn't offensive.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 16

Tita I have not but heard great things about it. Sugar shack and IndyDebi do not use butter in their BC icing and everyone raves about it.

Tita9499 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 16

Good enough for me. I guess I can add some butter flavor to it anyway since all it calls for in extract/flavor

KODYSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KODYSMOM Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 16

I use a recipe that has no butter in it. It calls for shortening but I add, vanilla, butter and almond flavorings. I always get compliments on the taste.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 16

I really need to try Sugarshack's buttercream! Thanks for reminding me that I HAVE to do that!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 16

i like mine of course although there are other equally great ones out there too:

( no longer sift)

and u can sub some of the shortening for butter but it will be softer

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:15pm
post #12 of 16

I use IndyDebi's recipe. I let it run in the mixer for approx. 5-8 minutes after it's all mixed well. It's so easy to make, ends up wonderfully smooth and easy to work with. Crusts perfectly. The only thing I do is "tweak" it by adding 1 tsp butter flavoring and 1/4 tsp salt....and that is simply to suit my family's need for the butter flavor. lol. I will say, that using a high ratio shortening does seem to eliminate that shortening feel that some state they don't care for in shortening recipes. I however, am fine with using regular shortening in this recipe...but will use the high ratio if someone states they absolutely don't like that feel of the regular.
I have not tried Sugar Shacks BC nor IMBC....both of which I am going to try....very soon....just to compare. I am sure they are equally as yummy! icon_wink.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm
post #13 of 16

Sugarshack's, hands down!!

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:26pm
post #14 of 16

I just tried Sugar Shack's recipe for the first time yesterday. It was very creamy and easy to work with. As for taste, I definitely prefer butter based icings myself, but as far as shortening based icing goes, hers is definitely the best I've tried. Using Sweetex instead of Crisco really does seem to make a big difference in the taste and "mouth-feel" of the icing.

nicolepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolepa Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:56am
post #15 of 16

SugarShacks icing rocks. That is all I ever use anymore. My neighbors come begging for my awesome icing.

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:11am
post #16 of 16

definitely SugarShacks! LOVE IT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%