Help!!! My Cakes Grow Belly In Then Oven

Decorating By sokin Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 3:40am by sokin

sokin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sokin Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 11

All the cakes I bake grow belly.... what can I do to prevent that from happening again??? Any tips or tricks??? Help me please!!! icon_cry.gif

10 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 11

There are a few tricks you can do. I use the flower nail. Spray it generously with Pam, and place it FLAT side down in your pay. The nail gets very hot and helps cook your cake evenly. After your cake cools and you flip it over, the nail will pop out...just like those pop up things that come with some turkeys that you can bake.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 11

This happens because the outside of the cake gets more heat, so it bakes faster than the middle of the cake, which continues to rise longer. Cooking at a slightly lower temperature, using a heating core or upside down flower nail, and/or using baking strips all work to try to even out this difference. Most cakes will still be slightly higher in the middle than on the outside, it's just the nature of the beast. Once your cakes have cooled, you will need to level them (either with a long, serrated bread knife, or with a special cake leveller, such as the Agbay). The good thing about this is that it leaves you yummy cake scraps to munch on! The bad thing about this is that it leaves you yummy cake scraps to munch on!

bellsnbows Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellsnbows Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 11

you can also try the magic strips that you wet down and wrap around your cake pan. instead of buying these, you can just take an old towel and cut it into strips. soak these in water and then wrap around your cake pans and secure with a t-pin.
another trick is to take the cake out of the oven just before it is done, then place a towel over it and gently push the belly down slightly so it is even. if you wait until the cake is done, it will spring right back up. the cake is so hot, it will continue to "cook" itself until it is done, this actually should make for a moister cake, since if you wait until it is done and then take it out and it continues to cook , it would actually over cook and be slightly drier!

sokin Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks everyone!!! icon_biggrin.gif

sokin Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks everyone!!! icon_biggrin.gif

tamarawagner99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamarawagner99 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 11

Well, I'll be...I had no idea there was a remedy for such a thing. Although, I guess I might have guessed there was since you never see Charm City Cakes' cakes looking like bloated bellies before they cut on them. I've always just used my handy dandy cake leveler (not too well sometimes, I might add).

Thanks for bringing it up, "sokin"! And thanks for the suggestions, ladies (I think). I'll definitely be trying the flower nail trick on my next cake.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 11

All of the above suggestion and bake at 325 instead of 350. Takes a few minutes longer but worth it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #9 of 11

Yes, definitely don't be afraid to turn that temp down.

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 11

I have been using BAKING STRIPS since day one (recommended from the wilton class that I took)....and that has been my saving grace.

I still bake at 350, but it does take an extra 10-15 minutes.

this is what they look like:
http://www.thebakerskitchen.com/BAKEWARE_SHOPPE/Assorted_Bakeware/Baking_Accessories/Cake_Leavers_Baking%20_Strips/Baking_Accessories_Baking_Strips.JPG

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DDXL8/?tag=cakecentral-20

sokin Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:40am
post #11 of 11

As an unexperienced person in the kitchen but who loves to bake cakes.... I cutted an towel and made the strips, they worked perfectly!!!!!
Ah and I also turn the temp down.

Thanks Bellsnbows and everyone else!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%