Crewel....on A Cake?

Decorating By SeriousCakes Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 4:03pm by Shannie13

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:13am
post #1 of 12

Has anyone on here done this? I SO want to try this, lol, now that I know what the name of it is! A few months ago I borrowed a cake book from the library (can't remember the name of it) and there was a cake with this type of embroidery piped on it. It looked soooooo pretty!

11 replies
DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:34am
post #2 of 12

I wonder if you could pipe it just like you'd sew it? Smallest tip, stitch at a time? If you figure it out, I'd love to hear about it.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstar_pilot

I wonder if you could pipe it just like you'd sew it? Smallest tip, stitch at a time? If you figure it out, I'd love to hear about it.

I do embroidery and that would be the only way that I can think of doing it to look authentic.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 12

You should check with Moydear77. She does crewel and I believe has written an article on how to do it.

SeriousCakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 12

I think you guys are right, sounds pretty time-consuming but I love a challenge icon_lol.gif I'll definitely post if I try this!
Okred-thank you, I looked her up and she has an insanely gorgeous cake that she did for a show but her website is down. Does she have an article on here? I looked but didn't see one.

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 12

her article was in a magazine, ACD i think. Sorry I'm at work and can't find it for you. Have you tried a PM to her?

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 12

Serious, I don't know if you are a ICES member, but in this months newsletter, there is a how-to by Kelly Lance out of Oregon. She did some molded sugar and a cross-stitch of a baby dinosaur. Very cute. I got to see it last April at a cake show. It was hard to belive it was a cake! I am sure that crewel is similar to that only diff is the type of thread you are using. Don't forget to post on you-tube. icon_lol.gif

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:48am
post #8 of 12

Look at the 'The International School of Sugarcraft

Don't know which volume does it. I do know it is covered within the 3 volumes.

SeriousCakes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 12

Alright folks, here it is!
http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1309159.html
This is one of those 'I need to cake RIGHT NOW' cakes. I really have been wanting to try to make pb fluff bc and let me tell you, oh my it was delicious!! This went more quickly than I thought it would, but I kept getting interrupted, my youngest daughter just learned how to climb out of her crib and is boycotting naps icon_cry.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 12

Fangtastic job thumbs_up.gif The "stiches" are so straight. You should be proud.

SeriousCakes Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you! I was pretty happy with how it turned out but I know what I would do differently next time icon_biggrin.gif It's funny that I can pipe a pretty straight line but I really struggle with making circles! icon_lol.gif

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:03pm
post #12 of 12

Absolutely beautiful. Gotta love kids too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%