How To Make A Gumpaste Bicycle

Decorating By rottieluvr2000 Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 5:18pm by -K8memphis

rottieluvr2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rottieluvr2000 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a grooms cake for my future son in law who is an avid bike rider. I want to make a gumpaste bike for the cake and have seen a picture I like in a recent Mailbox News but have no idea how to make it. Has anyone made one before who can give me some pointers?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 6

I would recommend using royal. I've done the gum paste ones and I did not impress myself. With royal you can easily make extra pieces. I've seen some pictures recently of a decorator who does thiers in royal--more freedom and easier to have multiple backup pieces. And royal is so much lighter. And no I don't remember where.

Just an idea of how I'm gonna proceed next time.

rottieluvr2000 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you. I had thought of that but I don't think it will match everything else. If all fails I guess I will just have to start making trial bikes until I get what I like.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 2:52am
post #4 of 6

I mean what's not to match? How does royal not match--it's just like gum paste--I mean I'm just curious. Do you have a rider on the bike or something?

rottieluvr2000 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 6

No the rider (future SIL) will be a made of gumpaste and sitting on the edge of the cake.

-K8memphis Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 6

Let me just recommend that you might consider the spokes (if you do spokes) out of royal--gumpaste for me anyway is too wiggley to get straight.

There might be a cutter out there too...Jem maybe???

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%