Icing Problems

Decorating By Edee Updated 15 May 2009 , 8:12pm by Misdawn

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 12:53am
post #1 of 16

I am going to try to attach a picture, but I don't know what is wrong with my icing, I get these little bubbles in it and they won't smooth out, please help.

the icing recipe I use is

1-1/2 cups all veg shortning
2 lbs domino powdered sugar
1/2 cup liquids (1-1/2 tsp vanilla and the rest water)
LL
LL

15 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:52am
post #2 of 16

Your recipe seems a little light on fat and heavy on liquid compared to some others like Wilton's: http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

To get out air bubbles, you can stir the icing slowly with a paddle (in a standing mixer) or with a spoon by hand. It helsp sometimes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:04am
post #3 of 16

Melvira the thing .... it'll be gorgeous.

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:10am
post #4 of 16

I second that indydebi. That method has been a godsend for me. Every flaw just disappears.

Edee Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 16

The only problem with the other recipes are that I don't like the butter taste in my recipe, I love this one. Hmmmm.... and the melvira method is great except you can't smooth these air bubbles out, not really sure what to do.

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edee

.... and the melvira method is great except you can't smooth these air bubbles out, not really sure what to do.

Hmmmm ... I smooth out air bubbles like that all the time via Melvira. icon_confused.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 16

Also, how long are you mixing the icing? Are you sifting the powdered sugar? When I first started I would just dump the bag of sugar into my bowl like my Wilton Teacher instructed. But as I gained my experience, I've learned to 1) always sift my sugar first, and 2) mix just until blended. My novice thinking was that mixing it longer will get all the sugar lumps out. Sifting eliminates this problem.

Also, the longer you mix your icing the more air you are mixing into the batter. For example, imagine when you mix egg whites to a stiff peak. When you first put them into the bowl, they have no air in them. They are not light and fluffy. How do you get them light and fluffy? Mix them. How does this make them light and fluffy? Air.

indydebi Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

Also, the longer you mix your icing the more air you are mixing into the batter. For example, imagine when you mix egg whites to a stiff peak.

When I whip egg whites, I'm using the whip. when I mix icing, I'm using the paddle.

The longer I mix my icing, the smoother it gets.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 16

I use Sugarshack's BC recipe. I use it step by step and always end up with gorgeous smooth icing no bubbles. Works perfectly for me. It is almost the same recipe you are using with a few more ingredients. You might check it out. Sharon says the air bubbles come from letting air get into the icing while it's being mixed.

Hope this helps!

AllyCake90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyCake90 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

Also, the longer you mix your icing the more air you are mixing into the batter. For example, imagine when you mix egg whites to a stiff peak.

When I whip egg whites, I'm using the whip. when I mix icing, I'm using the paddle.

The longer I mix my icing, the smoother it gets.

Haha...I feel ya there. I never tried it using a whisk and here's why:
My first attempt at doing a full-fledged cake (which went quite well, thankfully) I mixed up the batter with the whisk attachment on my KitchenAid...well, then while the cake was baking I decided to take the time to make my frosting. So I used the Wilton recipe and (trying to avoid having to wash the whisk attachment...) grabbed the paddle. Hey...it was clean! Anyways, I used it to make the frosting and it came out amazingly smooth. I was astounded...(& in the 8th grade, lol)
debi, I also noticed how the longer you beat it with the paddle, the smoother it gets! I love my paddle attachment! icon_biggrin.gif

Edee-
definitely use your paddle attachment & let that baby fly (not too fast...especially if there's some fresh confectioner's sugar that hasn't been stirred in yet...can you tell I've ended up with a sugar-dusted kitchen too many times to count?)
Try the Wilton "Buttercream Frosting" recipe...It really does come out nice and smooth. You can add more or less water depending on the consistency you want & it flavors very well! icon_biggrin.gif
And sometimes I use shortening in place of the butter called for.
http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm
post #11 of 16

Try sugarshack's method, even if you do not use her recipe. Covering the paddle will prevent air bubbles

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:44pm
post #12 of 16

I also use the paddle attachment and mix it for a while and on medium speed. Here is the recipe that I use.

1 stick butter softened
4 oz. cream cheese softened
2 c. crisco
2 lbs. powdered sugar

mix butter and cream cheese together well.
add crisco and powder sugar a little at a time.
when done adding mix on medium for a while.
I sometimes add 1t. of vanilla or sub. 6T of powder
sugar for cocoa powder always works fine

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:45pm
post #13 of 16

I do the sugershack thing too. She said to keep your ka on the lowest speed the whole time. Other tricks, use hot water (liquid), make a batch big enough that it covers the paddle so the mixer actually works out the air instead of adds air.

Edee Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:31am
post #14 of 16

Do you have to use hi ratio shortning for the sugar shack method? Because I tried it and still ended up with these little clumps. Could it be my shortning?

texasseegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasseegirl Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:00pm
post #15 of 16

Bumping for a reply to Edee's question about using hi-ratio shortening...

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 15 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #16 of 16

The one time I used hi ratio shortening it had all these little gritty bumps or something in it. Luckily, it didn't make it into my frosting, but I did rub it on my hands before kneading my fondant. When I felt the little bumps (you could actually see them) I immediately washed my hands and threw the entire tub of shortening away! It was really light and fluufy...not the texture I would expect for shortening, and those little bumps - gross! I certainly won't be using it any time soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%