Need Some Help With 3D Dummies....

Decorating By yelle66 Updated 28 Jan 2009 , 1:24am by mom2rascals

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to be making two dummy cakes for a party that are 3D. I haven't done dummy cakes before, but have done quite a few 3D cakes, I can do the dummy thing, right? Next question is where do I get the foam and what kind if I have to carve it? How do I carve it without leaving a bunch of lumps where the little bubbles of styro don't cut right? I have done a little with styro, but only for propping purposes. TIA for any help anyone can give me.

Danielle

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 5

There are heated craft knives (electric powered and battery powered). That might work to carve the styrofoam as it cuts and kinda melts at the same time.

Curious as to why dummies for party cake?

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 5

It won't just be dummies, she just doesn't want to cut into these. She will have sheet cakes to serve. I don't ask why, I just am happy to get the business icon_wink.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 5

Hey, if she's got the money to spend on dummies just for decoration, I'm sure you're more than glad to take it! icon_wink.gif I hope you're charging her full-price for the dummies? It might end up being MORE work to carve them out of styro than cake!

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 1:24am
post #5 of 5

I have used a high density foam before, bought from Home Depot. They sell them in large chunks though.

I have also used florist styrofoam - its green & sold in bricks, six (or eight) to a package at Michael's. Very easy to carve, but will make a mess. After carving, I wrap with press'n'seal.

It really depends on what exactly you are doing with these "dummy cakes".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%