The Middle Of My Cake Sunk What Happened?

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 5:56am by erikamj

cathie_shinnick Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 5:34am
post #1 of 6

I just baked a yellow cake in a 12 X 3 round pan, I used a metal cone in the center. It looked great for a long while, I had to bake it for 1 1/2 hours at 325. When it was finally baked through the center had fallen. I need to bake 2 more tonight but now Im worried that the rest will do the same. I followed the directions on the box but added 1 extra egg for each box. Could this have been the culprit?

5 replies
JanH Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 8:30am
post #2 of 6

Adding extra eggs or using larger than called for eggs (large is pretty standard for baking) can make a difference, especially in the 3" pans.

Rather than using a heating core, why not use one or two greased and floured (inverted) flower nails. (Won't have those huge holes to fill in.)

Cake troubleshooting charts:

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 12:33am
post #3 of 6

Hey, an hour & a half for that cake is quite a long time. Consider upping your oven temp to 350. Do you have an oven thermometer?

I mean I like to bake at 350 - 375 even.

But I know you are in the middle of the ice cream container cake so I don't mean to say experiment with it but I know it's due tomorrow too huh.

Just an idea. The mixes are made to bake at 350 is all I mean. I know a lot of people use 325 but it doesn't work for me.

And yes skip the extra egg.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 6

Hope all is going well, Cakebuddy, and you have a great cake and lovely photo soon.

lalakanosho Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 6

I've had this problem too, and it's also mostly on my 3in high pans. I'm going to have to try the extra egg and see.

erikamj Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:56am
post #6 of 6

I had this happen just last week to me. I upped my temperature back to 350 and everything worked out jsut fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%