My Own Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By 4kids Updated 26 Jan 2009 , 2:41pm by 4kids

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 9

My sister is throwing a baby shower for me next month. I would love to make my own baby shower cake. I just am not sure if it's rude to ask to do that. I really appreciate the shower, and just think it would be fun to do the cake. How can I ask her without seeming rude? All the baby showers up to now... she's handled all the details including the cake. I would hate to step on her toes. Any suggestions?

8 replies
IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 9

I guess it depends on what kind of relationship you have with your sister and the various personalities involved. If you don't think she'd be offended, ask her. Personally, I wouldn't be offended. If I had a sister that really wanted to do her own cake, I'd agree with it. I would probably stress that she didn't have to do it, but if she really, really wanted to.....go for it. (But that's just me.)

Lisa

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 9

Why should she be offended? You enjoy making cakes & she should understand. Tell her you'd like to give her a break (in some planning & money) and you would really like the practice (w/ recipes & details)

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Why should she be offended? You enjoy making cakes & she should understand. Tell her you'd like to give her a break (in some planning & money) and you would really like the practice (w/ recipes & details)

My thoughts exactly! icon_biggrin.gif

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 9

I had my baby shower back in July and I told my good friend that I was making the cake. As she put it "oh good, one less thing for me icon_smile.gif No offense was taken.

Good Luck

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 9

Does she make cakes too? Is that why you don't want to offend her? If that's the case make it together. My DH and I got married by ourselves and his mom threw us a party after. I wanted a cake from my favorite bakery. She said she was getting it from Costco icon_mad.gif I ordered the cake from the bakery anyway. She was a little pissed, but I didn't care I had a good cake. So for my baby shower my DH told her what bakery to go to and she went to Costco and bought pies icon_evil.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 9

Pies for a baby shower? Now that's a new one!

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 25 Jan 2009 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Pies for a baby shower? Now that's a new one!

Yeah, I was a little less than thrilled. I was hot, huge and grouchy because I didn't have my cake icon_cry.gif There were no game or anything fun. I didn't even know 1/2 of the people there (same as my wedding party).

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 2:41pm
post #9 of 9

I think I'll ask her. Thanks for the advice. I definitely won't be having pies... sounds more like your MIL's baby shower than yours! My sis just loves planning parties, so I didn't want to ruffle her feathers if she had some extravagant cake planned from a bakery. We have a really good realtionship so I'll see what she thinks.

Thanks guys... now back to page 52 of the "Officially Embarassed" topic that has had my attention for way too long!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%