Edible Images

Decorating By Leetzie Updated 24 Jan 2009 , 2:21pm by Leetzie

Leetzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leetzie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 8

Can I buy the edible ink and paper and use my printer or do I need to buy another printer just for the edible images (I have a Dell All in One Printer)? Also, do I need special software to do the images or can it be done through something like Word? Also, where is the best place to purchase edible image items?

Thanks,

Lisa

7 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 8

I would buy a printer specifically for the use of printing edible images. You don't want to run the risk of toxic chemicals from regular ink mixing in and making someone ill.

Just my honest opinion.

Have a great day!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetzie

Can I buy the edible ink and paper and use my printer or do I need to buy another printer just for the edible images (I have a Dell All in One Printer)? Also, do I need special software to do the images or can it be done through something like Word? Also, where is the best place to purchase edible image items?

Thanks,

Lisa

You may want to check out this site:

http://www.kopykake.com/

I haven't used edible images yet, but would love to be able to.

Susie53 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with Eisskween, I would want to use a printer specifically for the purpose of printing images on cakes or cookies.

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 8

I use Kopykake and am very happy with it.
I use word to do all my images in, although when you purchase Kopykake you can download their program for free and includes templates for cakes as well as cupcakes, different writing styles etc.
I bought a new printer just for my edible inks. Printers are not all that expensive now and to use the same printer you use now then you would have to get a special cleaning kit (which isnt cheap) to clean before using the edible inks. And you would have to use each time you would switch from edible to normal. Hope this helps

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 8

Hi, You should absolutely NOT use a regular printer for your edible images. If you check Kopykake, they have a list of compatible printers for their edible inks, that is what I did, I got an Epson all in one printer at Office Max for $70.00 after I made extra sure it was the one compatible with one of the sets of cartridges they have, I even talked to a rep. by phone, then I ordered the ink at kopykake and I got the edible paper, exactely the same, a 24 pack, same brand, kopykake at Sams, in the bakery, for 28.00, the same price but I saved the shipping fee. Also, I know the first set of ink is a bit expensive, but they have refillable edible ink, after your first ones finish you can refill it up to 4 times and the cost would be aprox. 1/4 of the original set. A friend of mine got the complete pack at kopykake and the printer she got looks like mine, is an Epson, it just have a metal plaque on one side that says Kopykake. Hope this helps.

Susie53 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 8

By the way Leetzie, welcome to Cake Central...this site is not only awesome, but addictive!

Leetzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leetzie Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the replies. I will definitely look into the kopykake site. And thanks for welcoming me to the site. I have only been on for a couple of days and already learned so much. Thank you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%